• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking 4 the pictures of original SecurityAviationTogs A-2

Lee-AVG

Hi folks,
is there anyone here who got the pictures of original Security Aviation Togs A-2 jacket? I'v been looking for them for long time, but just only found some pics of Buzz Rickson repro Security Aviation Togs A-2.
I'm interested in the A-2 jacket of this contract these days, it's really different from any other A-2s in WWII.

many thanks
regards
Lee

dadgad

Fullgear.jpg

Lee-AVG

Thanks a lot, dadgad :D
PS: do you have any other pictures of this contract? I'll appreciate that!

asiamiles

Lee-AVG said:
is there anyone here who got the pictures of original Security Aviation Togs A-2 jacket? I'v been looking for them for long time, but just only found some pics of Buzz Rickson repro Security Aviation Togs A-2.
I'm interested in the A-2 jacket of this contract these days, it's really different from any other A-2s in WWII.

Buzz's Security Aviation Togs A-2 is actually a non-military issue 20'~30's-era style leather flight jacket (we don't know whether it's a Buzz invention or a copy of an original jacket) quite different from the SAT A-2 seen in those photos. Interesting to see that pre-war pilots seemed to wear their jackets much looser than we're used to seeing from those in wartime photos.

Does anyone know what hide was used for the SAT A-2?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:

I guess horsehide, Miles, the original spec, the goatskin coming in later.

And I'm not aware of any recorded original label, but I assume that the contract was awarded to Security Sportswear, the Aviation Togs label being from the civilian range.

Lee-AVG

asiamiles said:
Buzz's Security Aviation Togs A-2 is actually a non-military issue 20'~30's-era style leather flight jacket (we don't know whether it's a Buzz invention or a copy of an original jacket) quite different from the SAT A-2 seen in those photos. Interesting to see that pre-war pilots seemed to wear their jackets much looser than we're used to seeing from those in wartime photos.

Hi asiamiles, I noticed that there are so many differences between Buzz Rickson SAT A-2 and original SAT A-2 in those BW pre-war photos, such as: Buzz SAT A-2 got no wind flap, no epaulet, pockets and its flaps are like the real A-2's, but in many history photos the pockets of original SAT A-2 look like the A-1's.......... i think maybe it's buzz's fantasy, ummm, who knows.

zoomer

Yes, any jackets you see in the squadron pix with zip fronts but button pockets will (presumably) be Securitys. It was the first known contract A-2, No. 32-485.
32-485.jpg

Werber's 33-1729 was the second, with snap pockets.
After that, no more contracts are known until 1936 (Werber again, No. 36-1112P).
Given the very much downsized Air Corps of those days, it is entirely possible that they may not have procured any more flight jackets for 3 years.
There is an AAC communiqué from mid-1935 discussing procurement of 500 A-2s, which may well have been the second Werber order. (We know of no further Security orders.)

2 pix posted somewhat frequently here (but always worth re-seeing), with prominent AAC officers in Securitys:

706518364_1e01c1ccce.jpg

Lt. Charles Howard, commanding 11th Bomb Squadron, ca. 1932.

612077898_469ac7de3d_o.jpg

Maj. Kenneth Walker, XO 7th Bomb Group, 1937.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
deeb7 said:

I thought the jacket pictured above (from Full Gear?) looked like it might be goatskin.

In the book the photo is darker, and a lot sharper, and it looks very much like horsehide.

.... and that first contract should be horse, with the silk lining. Maybe it's just how it reproduced.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
asiamiles said:
deeb7 said:

I thought the jacket pictured above (from Full Gear?) looked like it might be goatskin.

In the book the photo is darker, and a lot sharper, and it looks very much like horsehide.

.... and that first contract should be horse, with the silk lining. Maybe it's just how it reproduced.

I agree with David. Studying the picture in Full Gear it would appear to be horse as is the one in the Art of the Flight Jacket, pp. 148-150. There are some useful photos in here (MaGuire) of the details of this iconic A2.

asiamiles

Surprised that no manufacturer has had a go at repro SAT A-2. The difficulty (impossibilty?) of locating an original to pattern the jacket from is obviously a hinderance, but hey, John was able to make a Good Wear A-1 without access to an original.

johnwayne

No Joking - I let one of these slip through my hands recently - at a market in Spitalfields (London). Was about a 40" (too small for me) and was going for £150!! Was quite good condition too!

It was one of those moments when later you realise the error of your ways - Doh!!!!!

Wayne

Roughwear

johnwayne said:
No Joking - I let one of these slip through my hands recently - at a market in Spitalfields (London). Was about a 40" (too small for me) and was going for £150!! Was quite good condition too!

It was one of those moments when later you realise the error of your ways - Doh!!!!!

Wayne

This is amazing Wayne, assuming it was a genuine SAT A2. I bet you are kicking yourself for not having bought it.

zoomer

Let me guess...you assumed it was some mall jacket with a make-believe order number. :| After all, real milspec A-2 makers never put a colorful trademarked label in, or used spec tags that look like they're from an A-1. And button pockets? My gosh, who were they kidding?! :lol:

asiamiles

johnwayne said:

Oh no! But we've all done it, more than once. I missed what I think was a SAT on Yahoo Japan; relined and recuffed and too big for me but as less than $400 I could have tripled my outlay, and what's more we would have had a jacket to make a pattern from. But £150 on a market stall? My size as well!

johnwayne

Genuine SAT I can asssure you, still with the SAT label and only that one BUT, it didin't have button pockets. Must confess it did throw me at the time - I could see it was too small so didn't try on and almost certainly would have bought it, had it fitted, but yes I did pore over it, realised I didin't have my wallet or cards on me and had to get back to work!! I did actually ask if he'd be back the folowing week, got home, checked it out but the next week he'd sold it!!! As I said... DOH!!!!!!!
Hopefully it 'll remain as........the one that got away!

Cheers to all and sunny weekend ahead

Wayne

asiamiles

johnwayne said:
Genuine SAT I can asssure you, still with the SAT label and only that one BUT, it didin't have button pockets.

That's interesting. It had snap pockets? It could have been a commercial jacket made by SAT.