• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lining?

dmoser1978

I know that the cotton lining is the most common for the repro and original A-2. What's the feeling about the original spec silk lining? I'm thinking that a jacket with a more 'slippery' lining would be easier to wear.

I don't have much experience with silk though, does it remain wet the way that cotton does? How is it as blocking the wind or keeping in the warmth?

G&B's Mark 31 A-2 is really interesting me, and the silk lining intrigues me.

SuinBruin

Silk is a much better insulator than cotton. Beyond that, I don't know how a silk liner would work in an A-2.

bseal

dmoser1978 said:
I know that the cotton lining is the most common for the repro and original A-2. What's the feeling about the original spec silk lining? I'm thinking that a jacket with a more 'slippery' lining would be easier to wear.

I don't have much experience with silk though, does it remain wet the way that cotton does? How is it as blocking the wind or keeping in the warmth?

G&B's Mark 31 A-2 is really interesting me, and the silk lining intrigues me.

It's good stuff, easy on, easy off. The silk they use is of a reasonably high tensile strength too.

Vcruiser

It's true....the rusty red spun silk lining in my Aero A2 is not satiny like normal silk...although it does slip on and off easier. It,also,seems warmer than my other A2s with cotton liner. I really do like the spun silk. I don't think that silk is as absorbent as cotton..so should repell water to a certain degree.
I don't know about G/B's silk liner,tho. Is it more like the shiny silk? Seems to me..that either would be nice.
Van

zoomer

Careful - most satin(y) liners are not silk, but really polyester.
A few of the better makes use bemberg, a heavy rayon used in wartime Navy jackets.

The original A-2 liner spec was for spun silk - a duller finish fabric. However, no A-2s are known to survive with this liner.

Robman

The G&B Mk 31's silk liner is outstanding and YES the jacket slides on and off easier than any other. I did not want the slik liner at first but it certainly has grown on me.

A

Anonymous

Once you go silk, you will never go back. G/B silk is outstanding. Very comfortable, slides on and off, is the proper shade of color IMHO and is long wearing. It's a winner in my eyes.

bfrench

Administrator
I have to agree with Robman and Wing Nut - the G&B silk liner is long wearing, easily dries and is easier to get on and off when wearing a long sleeve shirt or sweater.

I have that silk liner in the G&B goat and horsehide A-2s - As WN says - only way to go.

Bill French

dmoser1978

I'm pretty well sold on the idea of a silk lining. I've contacted GW about getting silk on one of the jackets, apparently the spun silk is harder to get a hold of.

I doubt Gibson and Barnes would want to help out a competitor, but does anyone know their source?

Vcruiser

dmoser1978 said:
I'm pretty well sold on the idea of a silk lining. I've contacted GW about getting silk on one of the jackets, apparently the spun silk is harder to get a hold of.

I doubt Gibson and Barnes would want to help out a competitor, but does anyone know their source?

It's my understanding that Aero discontinued their spun silk liner some time ago. As far as I know..they were the only jacket maker to offer the "spun" silk.
Perhaps a local fabric shop (JoAnns?)would have/could order regular silk material in red..or a reddish color......
Van

zoomer

Good luck with Jo Ann's. They won't sell you anything you couldn't make maternity muu muus out of. The one near me doesn't even carry heavyweight thread.

I got some nice brown calico for an A-2 lining there once - once...

Falcon_52

zoomer said:
Good luck with Jo Ann's. They won't sell you anything you couldn't make maternity muu muus out of. The one near me doesn't even carry heavyweight thread.

I got some nice brown calico for an A-2 lining there once - once...

Zoomer is right on here. I tried Jo Ann's as well and came up short. So, I ended up going to a bridal clothing store that makes custom wedding and bridesmaid's dresses. I was a bit embarrassed to be the only man within a mile of the store but I found the fabric that I was looking for. :oops:

Noel

fishmeok

That's a good idea about the bridal store- we have a massive fabric wearhouse place in Minneapolis that has good stuff sometimes, but you have to dig. Still kicking myself for passing on several yards of red diamond quilted silk fabric last month, would have been perfect for linings.

As far as chain stores Hancock Fabrics has much better stuff than JoAnne, but neither of them really have what I want, will have to try that bridal store idea. Maybe even try on a ball gown or two... :D
Cheers
Mark