• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln Brigade test jacket size 42

fishmeok

This is my first attempt at small sizes. I made the size 42 pattern based on my 46- took a while. I used an o.d. cotton for the lining and a matching zipper with olive tape. M-422A style pockets. Double top stitching and top stitching on the cuffs. Wool knits and some cool buttons that Dubow A2 found for me. Nice reddish-brown hide that creases like crazy when you get it wet. Two-piece back and three-piece arms. I really like this pattern of jacket, what do you guys think?

This will be for sale now- way too small for me. Won't be making any more for another couple of months either, we found a house after a couple months of searching and will be moving in at the end of May.

Across the front 22"
Across the shoulder blades 15.5
Shoulders 19"
Arm top to end of cuffs 24"
Zipper 21.5
Back top to bottom 23.5
Shoulder seam 6.5"

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

better duck

We're getting spoilt here: getting used to the extraordinary. Once again a great piece of craftmansship.
All the best with moving house, it'll need your attention and energy for a while.
In the new house more / better room for you and your 'sweatshop' for manufacturing jackets ?

better duck

You're calling this jacket, which seems an amalgam of several types, a "Lincoln Brigade" jacket. Of course the name rang some bells, but not exactly, so I went to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln_Brigade
Good cause, wrong ending, so many years ago. But that put aside: are there pics of Lincoln brigadistas wearing jackets like these? (I take it it wasn't military issue, just civillian or ex-military jackets that they took with them to Spain)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
better duck said:
are there pics of Lincoln brigadistas wearing jackets like these? (I take it it wasn't military issue, just civillian or ex-military jackets that they took with them to Spain)

We just had a long thread all about it, Peter .... lotsa pictures.

viewtopic.php?p=37033

I believe it was the inspiration for Marks prototype, the subject of another thread.

viewtopic.php?p=38408

A

Anonymous

Mark nice jacket and the cut and style are great ,I especially like that leather you used it has a lot of character from the get go .I know your busy for the next 2 months with your move ,good luck on that by the way .But may be you can make the next jacket without the bottom knit and make it a little longer with those side adjusters similar to the Aero highwayman .Take a look at this from cultism

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php ... BROWN.html

All the best Jeff.

jacketimp

fishmeok said:
This will be for sale now- way too small for me. Won't be making any more for another couple of months either, we found a house after a couple months of searching and will be moving in at the end of May.

good luck/ feng shui with the house moving, mark.....

better duck

deeb7 said:
We just had a long thread all about it, Peter .... lotsa pictures. I believe it was the inspiration for Marks prototype, the subject of another thread.

Ah, yes, now I remember! Thanks!

jack aranda

Hi, Mark:
Congratulations on the new house. Busy days ahead.
This new jacket is a good one. I'm both relieved and sad, as with your last jacket, that it is not quite my size. The hide is beautiful; the stitchwork looks perfect. I'm sure you know every tiny flaw in it, real or imagined, but it looks to me like all that jacket needs is someone to wear it a lot. As I said, I'm both relieved and saddened it won't be me--I'm saving pennies for a special project and a summer of travel and I need all of those pennies just now. Thanks for posting pics.

fishmeok

deeb7 said:
better duck said:
are there pics of Lincoln brigadistas wearing jackets like these? (I take it it wasn't military issue, just civillian or ex-military jackets that they took with them to Spain)

We just had a long thread all about it, Peter .... lotsa pictures.

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?p=37033

I believe it was the inspiration for Marks prototype, the subject of another thread.

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?p=38408

It's based on this jacket taken from the Spanish Civil War thread. I modified it a bit with scalloped pockets. The multi-piece back and arms are conjecture, but I tried to stay true to the basic design. It looks like the originals were capeskin or something very similar judgeing by the way the leather drapes. Thanks to Zoomer for starting the thread and finding these pictures.
Cheers
Mark

11_0167s.jpg

Sgt. Joseph Taylor, "Lincoln-Washington activist, especially distinguished." April 1938

fishmeok

jack aranda said:
Hi, Mark:
Congratulations on the new house. Busy days ahead.
This new jacket is a good one. I'm both relieved and sad, as with your last jacket, that it is not quite my size. The hide is beautiful; the stitchwork looks perfect. I'm sure you know every tiny flaw in it, real or imagined, but it looks to me like all that jacket needs is someone to wear it a lot. As I said, I'm both relieved and saddened it won't be me--I'm saving pennies for a special project and a summer of travel and I need all of those pennies just now. Thanks for posting pics.

I think I need to start targeting you specifically, like a pusher to his junkie... :lol:
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

jacketimp said:
fishmeok said:

good luck/ feng shui with the house moving, mark.....

Thanks guys. The new house has an attic room that I think will be turned into the jacket room- lots of light, etc. After spending most of my life bouncing around the country working on airplanes this is going to be the first house I have actually BOUGHT....
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

DUBOWA2 said:
Mark nice jacket and the cut and style are great ,I especially like that leather you used it has a lot of character from the get go .I know your busy for the next 2 months with your move ,good luck on that by the way .But may be you can make the next jacket without the bottom knit and make it a little longer with those side adjusters similar to the Aero highwayman .Take a look at this from cultism

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php ... BROWN.html

All the best Jeff.

Hi Jeff- I've been thinking about that for a while, but I think it will require a new body pattern. I think the basic A-2 shape is too wide at chest and waist so it can blouse out and to adjust it I think I will have to re-draw and re-proportion the armholes as well. Something to do in the new house-
Cheers
Mark

442RCT

Your execution, materials and workmanship is wonderful. If you ever decide to make an A-2, put me on your list to buy one, I'm a size 42 short. :p