• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln Brigade Jacket

fishmeok

I needed to make a jacket to get used to my new machine (different presser foot, feed, speed, and feel-had to learn top stitching again) I used a hide and buttons Jeff contributed to the cause (Dubow A-2) and made a size 48 mostly based on the Spanish Civil War A1/A2 hybrids. I used tanker jacket knits from ATF and an aluminum YKK zipper. The liner is brushed cotton I found at the local fabric warehouse. I really like the features of this jacket and will be making more of them in a more traditional color (just got a nice reddish brown cowhide today). I think I may run this through the wash to see how the leather creases up, just for fun. this was a fun one to make, but it would have been better if I wasn't trying to get a mortgage this week, my frustration level is pretty freaking high right now. I think the underwriters want the blood of my dead ancestors, triple verified and notarized, then mixed with my own and used to sign the application before they will even think about it. Maybe my first born too.

I offered them Clark, but they just laughed....

Cheers
Mark

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1847-1.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi Mark that looks great and I really feel the period in the details .The buttons look good on the leather with out jumping right out at you and the stiching of the button hole is excellent +++ so neat .The back seams are aligned perfect you must be so happy with this project and it sound like you had fun .So you made a different size of jacket from the usual how did it go ,was it a problem .I think washing the jacket might be a good idea ,I think this leather has a lot of potential character hidden ,but first maybe you should try some of the leftover leather with a white t- shirt to see what happens .I would hate to see that leather bleed over all that neat work you did .How did the machine work out for you as I think I am right in saying this was its first jacket.I think do deserve a big well done .All we need now is you wearing the jacket wearing a beret and holding a rifle picture in black and white .Mark how did you like those leather buttons I sent you they came out of Quebec Canada .May be you should send an email to ATF to show him what you did with his knits I am sure he would love to see your jacket .

All the best Jeff

dujardin

hellooooooooooooo,

another great realisation.
good work and great look.
congrats again

byeeeeeee marcel

jack aranda

Good morning, Mark:
:cool: :cool: :cool:
What kind of hide is that? And, is the color a seal brown? It looks a little gray in the pics. As I look at it, I'm imagining berry red knits on a size 44 in dark seal arriving on my doorstep :D .

Honestly, Mark, the quality of your workmanship is a real treat, in part, I guess because you're not a corporation in business. It's all about the love of the jackets, and it shows.

I'm serious about an order for one of these, BTW. Thanks for the pics. I agree with DUBOWA2, some black and white pics of you in the jacket would be :cool: :cool: :cool: .

fishmeok

Yeah, it's a little more kelly green than it looks in the pics, but fairly close. Thanks again for the buttons Jeff- I will be using them all...
Sizing it up worked ok, but this ended up being narrow in the shoulders and stout in the tum, which is period accurate for some A-2's, but I think I want the shoulders a little bigger next time I try a 48. My technical skills are coming along nicely, but as always I am having pattern issues. I need to go to the library and do some more research on pattern making. The jacket is quite big- I am fairly swimming in the thing.

This was the first jacket with my new machine, and there was a steep learning curve. Lots more power and fewer skipped stitches, but the new one is more of a truck and not as as to manipulate. You can see that in my topstitching. I may have to get some specialized presser feet for this machine.

Essentially this is an A-2 body with no windflap, M-422A pockets, A-1 back assembly, and a knit collar. I can get pretty far and do some interesting things just by mixing and matching A-1, A-2, and M-422A bits. It's getting really fun, but there are always issues...
Cheers
Mark

tgd31968

I really like it.

Maybe also consider the same jacket in a heavy cotton for summer wear. I am currently looking for the "right" cloth summer weight jacket. This would look great in an OD or khaki cotton.

Terry

zoomer

What a piece of work! Great job Mark! :mrgreen:

I agree with the others - this would be a great design in cloth, as would the A-1.

fishmeok

Thanks all-
I agree, It would be great in cloth- I think even better than an A-1. But the problem is that it takes just as much work to make the jacket in cloth as it does in leather, and the leather version is worth three times as much- unless I get myself one of those factories in China or Pakistan and have them mass produced. Maybe someday.
Cheers
Mark

Aykut

Great work Mark! Looks well done...i have to learn pattern making for different sizes now too..why can't we all be the same size :lol: ...all the best..Aykut