• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LIFE google images

rich

They are aren't they! Hope tcwu looks at this so he can see the length of his B3 is spot on. Any idea what the ducks on the
A2 signify? I downloaded this shot and tweaked it, there's a lot of hidden detail in the jacket. Thanks for posting these :)

TankBuster

Excellent! I love seeing wartime shots of those
painted and patched jackets. Color really makes
them pop!

dujardin

1000000000000000000000000000000 times THANK YOU for this link; i'm now busy to search (investigate) all possibilities of LIFE photos - pilot - bomber - tanks - bunker - Bastogne aso aso and i realise or complete files on my PC.
many thanks again, it's brilliant...

byeeeeeeee marcel

Andrew

That's a great find, thanks for posting that Django. The detail in that first shot is amazing. Boy, if you were researching that A/C and found that you'd be happy. I've been looking for any shots of B-26 "Six Hits and a Miss", 391BG, 575 Sq (I have one of the original jackets from a crew member) for a few years and have found bugger all.

T-Bolt

I love P-47's......but I also love B-26's!! What an awesome photo, thanks so much for that one! :cool:

Ted

CBI

the ducks on the jacket are returned/cancelled (once in flight) missions.

dujardin

Leadsky said:
That's a great find, thanks for posting that Django. The detail in that first shot is amazing. Boy, if you were researching that A/C and found that you'd be happy. I've been looking for any shots of B-26 "Six Hits and a Miss", 391BG, 575 Sq (I have one of the original jackets from a crew member) for a few years and have found bugger all.

having a little time before working, i'm searching a little after your planes and i discover something interesting concerning markings of planes, all period, all nations

try this

http://images.google.be/imgres?imgurl=h ... %26hl%3Dfr

byeeeeeeeeeee i keep on searching marcel

rich

CBI said:
the ducks on the jacket are returned/cancelled (once in flight) missions.

I have a vague memory of reading that if a USAAF crew crossed the enemy coast but then could not go on to bomb any target, this still counted as one op towards completing their tour, ie they had taken all the risks but events beyond their control prevented them from completing the mission.

Thanks for this information CBI.

dujardin

search begin to pay

df5711d40d94f644.jpg

byeeeeeeeeee marcel

if i found better, i will post

dujardin

when searching on markstyling.com/b26, under ''six hits and a miss'', the result is the following

this plane belong to the 495 BS - code YM - tail number 42-95973 under a white triangle (border in black)

when searching under 575 BS, this plane is not registered, - code begin with 08 and tail marking is a yellow triangle.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

byeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Stony

I like the black and white in the last photo. The guy has 50 missions and 2 aerial victories. Thanks for posting, the color pics look great.

oose

Hi,
Great site loads of top pics, thought you like to see these..

CBI blood chit in A-2
AmericanpilotCaptainBusLoaneformerl.jpg

Interesting detail on flight jacket
c1-1.jpg

Couple of shots of early war civi / military flight jackets,
c2-1.jpg

c.jpg

RAF pilots in A-2 training
RAFpilotsmarchingtotheirtrainingdes.jpg

thanks yours stu

Andrew

oose said:
RAF pilots in A-2 training
RAFpilotsmarchingtotheirtrainingdes.jpg

Very interesting- Could these possibly be the RAF Pilots trained in Texas? I wonder if they got to keep their jackets....

dujardin

Here's a few shots of the jacket;
IMG_1250.jpg

splendid jacket you have there...
really difficult to imagine what was the original painting in the back with so little remains...
and also really great to have the ''story'' of the jacket

byeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Andrew

Thanks Marcel, in actual fact there is enough there to re-create most of it- which is something i'm working on, the first stage will be on paper.

It's intriguing to think that others in better condition could possibly exist out there somewhere- given that there were six in the Crew...

BTW, the most important part of the info (the vintage newspaper article) came via a contact of Simon's.

dujardin

Leadsky said:
Thanks Marcel, in actual fact there is enough there to re-create most of it- which is something i'm working on, the first stage will be on paper.

It's intriguing to think that others in better condition could possibly exist out there somewhere- given that there were six in the Crew...

BTW, the most important part of the info (the vintage newspaper article) came via a contact of Simon's.

can you place a sketch, so that with an idea of the original; if someone found a photo he may make the reliability between the photo and the sketch (hope i explain correctly with my poor english). personnaly, when i found a photo of a painted jacket i copy that in a file on my PC, at this time i have +_ 300 pics, hope other members do the same, we will finally have the chance to found a photo of a crew member of you plane.

byeeeeeeee marcel