• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leslie Irving

A

Anonymous

My friend Mick Prodger who has written many books on the flight theme told me that the original patent for the parachute from Leslie leroy Irving the g was left off by mistake .The company continued to run as the Irvin company due to the success of the parachute .I have never been able to substantciate this, does anyone else know if this is the fact, is it Irvin or Irving the man who invented the parachute and then the jacket .

All the best Jeff

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
It's actually the other way round ...

On 18th June 1919, a Certificate of Incorporation was issued and The Irving Air Chute Company was born. A clerical error resulted in the addition of the g to Irvin and this was left in place until 1970, when the company was unified under the title Irvin Industries Incorporated.
irvinaerospace.com

In the same vein .... shouldn't it be Mick Prodger. :p

A

Anonymous

Re the Irvin why do we not call the jacket the Irving jacket then ,just a thought if it was presented that way until 1970 .Rgds Jeff

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
DUBOWA2 said:
Re the Irvin why do we not call the jacket the Irving jacket then ,just a thought if it was presented that way until 1970 .Rgds Jeff

The jacket was named after the maker, Irvin.

And it wasn't presented that way .... The Irving Air Chute Company was incorporated in New York, to make the Irvin parachutes.

The jackets were made in England by Irvin, and by others.

Here's a history .......

http://www.airbornesystemscanada.com/history.html

Andrew

Yes, Mick is extremely generous with his time and information. He's helped me quite a bit also over the past years.

Leslie Leroy Irvin was indeed the man, I have a patent document for the flying suit from 1932 with this name as the applicant.

A

Anonymous

DUBOWA2 said:

Perhaps they thought that Irving Berlin might get the credit LOL :lol: :lol:

Dave

A

Anonymous

JACKET_ HEAD said:
DUBOWA2 said:

Perhaps they thought that Irving Berlin might get the credit LOL :lol: :lol:

David, you are the font of ALL knowledge. The forum oracle. The Encyclopedia flight Jacketus. I bow to you mate !

Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:
David, you are the font of ALL knowledge. The forum oracle. The Encyclopedia flight Jacketus. I bow to you mate !

You are far too kind, Dave. :oops:

Any credit must go to Google. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Google, like any tool, is only as good and resourceful as it's operator. My remarks still stand !

:D Dave

Vcruiser

Yes Sir...deeb is da man...and a gentleman to boot. A great asset to this forum,IMO.
Thanks for taking the time,David,to search out good info!
Van

rich

It seems that he did sign his name as Irvin,

LISIG.jpg

But it was spelled differently even within the same ad

Irvinad.jpg

On the Caterpillar Club card it always seems to be Irvin though, but other parachute makers did issue their own versions of this card.

caterpillar.jpg

There are some interesting parachute related items here too.......

http://aviationancestry.com/Safety/Para ... 936-5.html