• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather unit patch question to members

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hello,I have a question I'd like to run by the forum members and anyone who has a leathert jacket with patches that were made for them, my question being this, I wonder if most/all would prefer a patch leather to be aged/scuffed up with the "been there" look or if they would prefer a new look as just made to be on thier jackets??????

I make leather patches too and have noticed that a lot of forum members have ordered the "Used" types mostly but still am curious as to what the "precentage" is of "Used as opposed to New" ????????

Looking forward to replies, I prefer the "New" type but that's just me .

Hamsterbear

If the jacket is new, I prefer patches to be new, and then they wear together. If I have a beat-up old jacket, i want a beat up old patch.....
This was a new patch sewn on a new jacket, and they aged in nice balanced harmony!
330thSqdnJacket.jpg

This was an old worn Eastman and I added a really beat-up patch:
Eastmanpatches.jpg

This is an Aero Real Deal I added a new patch to:
AeroRealDealChennault01.jpg

CBI

I have sold a number of painted patches I have done on eBay as well as orders for forum members. I think the majority perfer the "new" look. The more weathered my patches were, the less they would sell for. I prefer some ageing.

442RCT

Hamsterbear said:
If the jacket is new, I prefer patches to be new, and then they wear together. If I have a beat-up old jacket, i want a beat up old patch.....
This was a new patch sewn on a new jacket, and they aged in nice balanced harmony!

What Hamsterbear said...I buy both types depending on the jacket.

Silver Dollar

I make patches and paint nose art also but only for myself (and a few friends). I prefer to have a new jacket with new looking patches as if they came right from the squadron artist in 1944. One thing about aged patches that I don't like is they look way too much like some of the originals making telling the difference difficult. That however does not influence my choice for aged vs new.

dujardin

well said Steve.

same for me, the look of the patch must match the jacket.

i also collect patch just for display on the wall (or something like that).
and for this use, i prefer the aged look.

byeeeeee marcel

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hey guys, thanks for the replies so far, I'm seeing a 50/50 trend here, and I agree ,if it's a new jacket go "new" and old for old.

Looking forward to more responses from others !
Johnny