• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather thickness

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, one question,
What's the generally accepted thickness of the leather in a type A-2 jacket?
I have seen some leather samples from Aero and it was pretty thick.
But what's the right thickness? I have no tool to measure it.
1.5 mm, 2mm? what?
If I understand correctly this lostworlds inc gyu is making them pretty thick, like 2mm (sounds like an armor)
while ELC makes them thin (some people complaining too thinn) like 1mm to 1.1 mm

So what's really the 'correct' thickness?

greyhound52

The answer is there is no correct answer. I have four originals all with different thickness. My Monarch is almost like a Lost World in thickness while my Aero is almost like the ELC. I have had and handled a few originals over the years and have found that the thickness of the horsehide differs all over the place. I say you find a thickness you like and use that as your measure for a repro.

watchmanjimg

Agree with George. I personally like a heavier hide but horsehide's inherent density makes for a substantial feel in an A-2, even in the 3-oz. range. GW's latest offerings such as the dull russet pigment-dyed horsehide are in my opinion a nearly ideal weight. Robust, but not overly stiff or restrictive.