• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather Patriot Coat

Saculer

Is Nick's doing this as a prank? Are they doing this as a way to use leather that they can't use in boots? Do they call it the "Patriot" because you have to sacrifice money, style, and good taste for your country to buy it? Or are they counting on the segment of folks who will fork over money for anything that claims to be patriotic? How patriotic is it to dunk on the A-2 in that case? I'm rethinking the boot order I just placed.

mulceber

Is Nick's doing this as a prank? Are they doing this as a way to use leather that they can't use in boots? Do they call it the "Patriot" because you have to sacrifice money, style, and good taste for your country to buy it? Or are they counting on the segment of folks who will fork over money for anything that claims to be patriotic? How patriotic is it to dunk on the A-2 in that case? I'm rethinking the boot order I just placed.
Yeah, I've never bought from Nick's, although I've heard rave reviews, but I must say, I find the brash attitude and blanket statements about an industry that they've only just now dipped their toe into pretty off-putting.

B-Man2

Just my opinion…. I think that Nick’s was looking at this project as a way to venture out of their business lane of making just boots. This is probably an attempt at seeing how they would do in the jacket world . I don’t think they gave it as much thought as what you may have thought .

Chandler

Then there's Thursday, who have no problem following a vintage flight jacket look.

Saculer

Yeah, I've never bought from Nick's, although I've heard rave reviews, but I must say, I find the brash attitude and blanket statements about an industry that they've only just now dipped their toe into pretty off-putting.
Quite right. Given their reputation for very thick, hard-wearing boot leather (my Nick's Rangers are 7-8oz harness leather and took me months to break in), I would think they would be at least passingly aware that 3oz is nothing for a jacket. I have a Highwayman in cxl steerhide that is listed at over 4oz though it feels like 6 or more. It weighs 9lbs and would kick the crap out of that boxy, ugly chore coat. I would think they'd actually lean into thick and durable garments like full motorcycle leathers before entering the fashion garment segment by sneering at all-American styles right out of the gate. Show me you can make a bomber or a Perfecto that's worth buying first, Nick's, then tell me how real American jackets should be made.

Thomas Koehle

Then there's Thursday, who have no problem following a vintage flight jacket look.

Even worse than the NICK's "Patriot" - a "bastard" of different styles cruedly mixed ...

Thomas Koehle

About "NICKs" - like some of you already pointed out they hold a remarkable share on the working-boots market and are known for the quality of their boots.

I felt tempted on my own to get a pair of their boots but the ordering process with sending scans of your feet back and forth bothered me a bit. Also the feedback of most owners/user of theri boots about the breakin' in procedure worried me coz the would have been more like a "fashion"-thing rather than a working-"tool" for heavy-duty use in the woods or on a construction site.

Anyway the jacket on their clip looks bulletproof which might be usefull for security- or governmentpeople (irony) but seems not to be suitable for a daily wearer. I can imagine you'd need a jack and a pickaxe the get the leather somehow a bit softer ...

Cool for boots - not that "cool" for a jacket.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Ralphie's brother Randy in "A Christmas Story?" :D
Or …. ( A little bit of history here)
The original Michelin man circa 1894.
IMG_1258.jpeg