• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather M-1??? Or a rebuilt g-1?

PilatusPilot

Here's an interesting jacket I stumbled across while shopping around and sneaking to find good deals. I've never seen something like this and thought maybe some of you might find it cool, or maybe offensive? Either way it's pretty interesting. It has a Talon zipper? Real or not real no clue.... But overall just looks like a legit g-1 without the fur. Anyone has thoughts on this?
I tried looking online to see if I could find something similar but only fashion jackets come up. So I'm assuming this isn't a real contract.

Screenshot_20230119-231528~2.png
Screenshot_20230119-231542~2.png
Screenshot_20230119-231540~2.png
Screenshot_20230119-231536~2.png

mulceber

No, I'd definitely say that was originally a Navy jacket, and a relatively early one, to judge by the leather color, liner color and the zipper. I've been going through the pictures I have and haven't found a match (yet), but I think the stitching at the base of the zipper is unique. Maybe someone else can identify this jacket.

I'd would buy it if I were you, provided the price is right. It's a pretty neat piece.

caddyd

It has the Navy issue inner pocket and bi-weave knit. But its definitely old with salmon colored lining and without the perforated stamp on the zipper flap. Probably a personal modification when its mouton collar started molting. But it looks cool and original with that A-1 style collar now.

Skyhawk

Not a sign of the sewn through hanger strip, a M422-through G-1 requirement in the specifications. If it doesn't have that it's Not a USN Mil Spec. Jacket. The buttons certainly don't meet the specs
Bi weave knits and salmon liners were prevalent during the period this jacket was probably made, mid 1960 though early 1970's. Looks to me also like it used to have a collar. That knit is a later addition. I wish the collar was there, and the label. This may be one of the earliest M422a civil reproduction jackets we have seen.

PilatusPilot

For those of you who are interested, here is the link to the jacket. Unfortunately it's too small for me.... I would of loved to buy it. Would of probably tried to convert it back into an m422 by adding a repro collar.

caddyd

Strange but true and buttons and knits are a common replacement but not so much collars. But it does look like there may have been a label removed.
And there's an original AN-J-3-A up for bids on ebay right now with odd looking buttons and under collar stamp.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (60).jpg
    s-l1600 (60).jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 79
  • s-l1600 (64).jpg
    s-l1600 (64).jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 72

Skyhawk

Pretty sure it’s an Ed Church M-422a with a collar and zipper job based on the details….
Now that I see the seam lines where the zip was replaced, it could be an issued jacket. However, I still don't see evidence of a hanger strip. I don't know about a Church. It does have the right seams on the back, but the gussets are not put together like the Church jackets I have seen. Also the pocket flaps don't appear to be large enough.

STEVE S.

Now that I see the seam lines where the zip was replaced, it could be an issued jacket. However, I still don't see evidence of a hanger strip. I don't know about a Church. It does have the right seams on the back, but the gussets are not put together like the Church jackets I have seen. Also the pocket flaps don't appear to be large enough.

Gusset to sleeve seam is reversed, with the topstitching on the gusset. I’ve ran across a very few early W&G like this but predominately a Church feature. Also, narrow zipper boxes and if you look at the inside facing on the windflap side, the bottom is made out of three pieces instead of one, another “Church only“ anomaly different from all the others.

As far as the hanger strip, the needle holes from the original may be there just not visible in the picture. Church just sewed a light box stitch on each end and it’s right on the seam/topstitching into the collar on most.

14E5948D-4699-43D0-9E74-54EFF6871A88.jpeg

54BCDBC6-4036-45BB-997B-3E45D8C6D5D8.jpeg
2D122044-2416-4EE5-9407-D9EB69850343.jpeg

Maverickson

Hi All,

I'm with you Steve! Looks like a Church!

To my eye the zip looks to be orginal to the jacket. If it is original to the jacket that model Talon zip was seen used on late War AN type jackets.

A quick check of the jacket's left pocket should be the telltale as to whether it is a Civlian model verses one time USN issue.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

ZuZu

Where are these seam lines? I agree that the zipper box looks a bit Churchy or Burjacky but I'm not seeing the replacement zip? Am I blind?

Screenshot_20230119-231540_2.png

ZuZu

There should be a line of stitch hole going down to the base of the zipper box. I checked with my Church. The zipper does star a bit up from the zipper box but the stiching goes all the wasy down. That weird stitching under the zipper base looks pretty fancy for a replacement...

Screenshot_20230119-231540_2.png