• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leather Jacket identification - 1930s 1940s ?

Adama36

I found this nice leather jacket a while ago at an estate sale. Unfortunately, there is no tag.
Based on the leather, the patina and the construction, it looks like a jacket from the 30s or 40s.
I know we have a lot experts on the forum and I hope one of you will be able to help me learn more about that jacket.

(FYI, it's a very smaller size jacket, most likely made for a kid or a woman)

thx

SAM_0261.JPG
SAM_0262.JPG
SAM_0263.JPG
SAM_0264.JPG
SAM_0265.JPG
SAM_0266.JPG
SAM_0267.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0268.JPG
    SAM_0268.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 69

Adama36

The buttons are 30s-early40s colt mfg. agree about it appears to be made of cape, and in unusually good condition for cape. It appears to have once had a belt, also. In summery, I would say by the design and construction, and the afore mentioned buttons, the jacket was made in the later 30s.
the leather is indeed in great condition. the jacket is completely wearable

Nnatalie

That's what I've always heard, although I admit I can't quote any real authority on it. My impression though is that capeskin was more frequently used on women's jackets and horsehide was more common on men's.
Yup! Based on looking through old newspaper ads and such while researching my own unlabeled 30s/40s women’s jacket, women’s jackets were often made of softer leathers, like capeskin, probably some calfskin, suede (though I’m not sure what type of leather would have been made into suede). Basically, they wanted something that was sturdy enough for sportswear and outdoor activities, but they didn’t need to stand up to hard physical labor in the same way that men’s jackets often did.