• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest addition A2 Perry to the collection

Persimmon

I recently purchased from a fellow member a wonderful A2 Perry 23377 - Size 40
As this contract was only manufactured in Goat its my first original that's not Horse

I have to say the buttery soft description that caught my attention is exactly true.
Its in wonderful condition for a seventy year old jacket.
I took it on holiday this week to Rome together with a repro Aero 38 in dark seal -size 40.

I love wearing the Perry but I would welcome some advice on its fit to me.

I personally think the sleeves are slightly longer than ideal as does my wife.
The question is do I live with them or sell it on.
I really don't want to alter and shorten an original.

The other issue is my daughter thinks the front makes me look fat !
Daughters really love you sometimes but in the pictures I kind of see where she is heading.

I have attached a picture of the Aero and its fit which she prefers as a guide.

The holiday was wonderful.
Its been several years since I last visited Rome and its a city I love and one I would recommend.

Italy169.jpg

Italy153.jpg

Italy172.jpg

Italy189.jpg

Italy165.jpg

Italy191.jpg

Italy184.jpg

Italy161.jpg

Italy154.jpg

Italy174.jpg

Italy180.jpg

Italy136.jpg

dmar836

Alan,
I think the "fat" comment stems from the fact it is appears a bit longer on you than we are used to.
I wouldn't sell it unless you buy only wearable examples.
JMO,
Dave
P.S. Rome is a great holiday! We loved it there.

Roughwear

Alan the Perry fits you well and is typical of many Wartime pics of A2s being worn. Don't worry about the sleeves and certainly don't shorten them. There is nothing worse in an A2 than having short sleeves. This Perry seems quite a generous size for a 40. It'a a real beauty. Now if only it were a size 44...... ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed Rome. We were there last Easter -a wonderful city with so much to do and see.

CBI

Alan -the Perry is a beauty, you are a pretty active buyer/seller and have always been a stickler for just the right fit. I think the Perry looks a bit too large on you and too tubby - the daughter is right - I hate it when that happens! The sleeves are a bit long but they don't look bad. Even if you had them shortened, there is still the belly factor. I know you are thrilled to have such a nice A-2 (I would be too) but I know you want to "wear" it, I would keep looking. Just being honest but I know you are a straight shooter. I just bought an original Bronco A-2 that I love but its too small so off it has gone to eBay. My museum quality original Spiewak (sp??) seemed to me a once in a lifetime find. I was SO happy with it and the darn thing was just too large - off to eBay. General rule: If you have to ask, the fit's not right. One day there's going to be the "OMG - perfect!" - response and then its a done deal. I have a few originals in this category. The down side is that it can get tiring trying to find the "right" one.

All the best - oh - the holiday looks like it was fun!

Dr H

Hi Alan

I echo CBI's comments - I think that Perry is simply the dog's... :mrgreen:

I'm not a great collector like many on the forum, but I have owned 4 Perrys in different contracts, sizes and patterns and have analysed these to death. I've discussed with Jason on the Forum the differences in the Perry patterns - the more conventional leaner form and the shorter armed, wider bodied one, which suits me.

From your images, the back/shoulders look the perfect fit and the length is very good one (my Perrys both only really sit properly with original pinks, which I occasionally wear to work, or high waisted workmen's fishtail trousers) - they're just over the belt with chinos.

The torso doesn't look unlike my two: perhaps a little more blousy at the waistband, but not excessively so IMHO. I wouldn't let this bother me as it's not exaggerated simply less trim - although I can see where you're heading with the seal Aero (which has an enviable fit on you).

As you said, we share a common issue with shorter arms and I know infuriating this can be - my GW Doni had 1 cm trimmed from the cuff and it transformed the jacket (removing the heaviness at the crook of the elbow). Would I have had the same on performed on my wartime Perrys? No I wouldn't, but I know that it's a dilemma.

If, as was mentioned above, you're a stickler for fit and the Aero is your ideal silhouette, then CBI's rule 'If you have to ask, the fit's not right' might not be too far off. However, if I were you, I'd be reluctant to let it go as there can't be too many Perrys knocking around in that condition.

I've just finished applying a coat of Pecards to my 23377 and it has really brought out a great colour (deep, rich russet). Unlike your Perry, mine has seen a fair bit of wear with strap rub, but I'll worry about it less and wear it regularly as a more casual alternative to the 42-16175-P. That said, as Andrew intimated if I had your 23377 in a 44, I'd look no further as I've realized how much I prefer goat to horse as I've worked on the jacket this evening (although the cape is another thing entirely... :D ).

Hope you're able to reconcile the dilemma.

Cheers

Ian

p.s. What did you say the dimensions are Alan? As Andrew said, it looks a generous 40 - more like a 42?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Okay, if we're allowed to be honest ... the jacket is beautiful, and a size too large.

Persimmon

Dr H said:
p.s. What did you say the dimensions are Alan? As Andrew said, it looks a generous 40 - more like a 42?

Ian
The measurements given to me were
Chest 21"
Shoulder to shoulder 18.5"
Arms 24.5"
Length 24.5"

All tape measurements are always subject to the right type of tape measure.
When I zip up the jacket from pit to pit its actually 22"

dmar836 said:
Alan,
I think the "fat" comment stems from the fact it is appears a bit longer on you than we are used to.
I wouldn't sell it unless you buy only wearable examples.
JMO,
Dave.

Dave.
I really only want to wear the jackets so not a collector as such

Roughwear said:
This Perry seems quite a generous size for a 40. It'a a real beauty. Now if only it were a size 44...... ;)

deeb7 said:
Okay, if we're allowed to be honest ... the jacket is beautiful, and a size too large.

Andrew/Dave
I agree the Perry is just that touch to big. Wiser heads than mine prevail.

CBI said:
General rule: If you have to ask, the fit's not right.

John
You have hit the nail on the head.
The fact I have to post is the answer.

Gentlemen I thank you all

So the Perry will be off to Ebay later in the week unless anyone is looking for a wonderful Perry to wear/add to their collection on the Forum lets me know.

PS. I still enjoyed wearing it !!!

Dr H

Enough, enough already ...now everything else is pretty fine but the chest size would be just a smidge too trim (sleeves are ideal) :roll:

dujardin

thanks for the nice photos, this give me the envy to wear my A-2 ''Elisabeth'', jump in a fly (low cost) to Italy, make some cool pics, eat a real italian pizza, drink a good italian wine, hmmmmmmm what a program.....

by the way, your jackets looks on you, especially ''red knits'' in the sun

thankssssssssss

ohhhhh i remember, i have some photos or airmen in Pompei during WW2

Pompei1.jpg

Pompei.jpg

byeeeeeeeeee
marcel

better duck

CBI said:
Alan -the Perry is a beauty (......) I think the Perry looks a bit too large on you and too tubby - the daughter is right - I hate it when that happens! The sleeves are a bit long but they don't look bad. Even if you had them shortened, there is still the belly factor. I know you are thrilled to have such a nice A-2 (I would be too) but I know you want to "wear" it, I would keep looking. (......) General rule: If you have to ask, the fit's not right.

I agree!