• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest - A-2 Good Wear Aero 21996 and GW 36 Werber Update

CBI

Here is my latest Good Wear, its an Aero (Acme) 21996. Its the new photo sample for this contract. Grainy HH. Couldn’t resist. Size 44 - classic Aero fit: big/roomy all over but well fitted at touch points. Fits very similar to my size 44 original 21996. Not the best pics but it gives you all an idea........ I have had the sleeves shortened to fit my short arms!

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

Here are John’s photos of this exact jacket: http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Acme21996_No3_44/

Also, a follow up to my GW 36 Werber post, now with shorter sleeves. Interesting that both jackets are almost identical in measurements - shows how really different the contracts could be........

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

Looks like the right sleeve wrist area is somehow crooked but its not, just the angle of my wrist.

Love’m both.

saucerfiend

Re: Latest - A-2 Good Wear Aero 21996 and GW 36 Werber Updat

Both jackets look perfect and fit nicely. Which one is the most comfortable for you in all-around movement?

Brian

CBI

Brain - thanks - they are both equally comfortable. The Werber fits like a glove, the Aero has room for movement without feeling too large. I can tell you that having owned a number of original Aeros over the years, the John creation totally FEELS like an Aero.

Roughwear

John, both jackets are fantastic and they fit you well. Enjoy!

CBI

thanks all.

Cobblers161

Sweet jackets there, if I had to choose between the two, and its a tough call, I'd say the Werber just about wins, such a sharp contract!

CBI

yes, very different looks. Luckily, owning a bunch of jackets lets me have options. I suppose the Werber is more the fit of the consensus of what folks think a "period" look is but there were many contracts with pretty different looks/drapes. The Aero's got it as well and John has the 40's drape down so well, its just a roomier contract. One could have a 21996 ordered that could be a more snug fit and it would look really cool as well. Your recent GW Dubow (which looks great) has a very unique and very different cut - still 1941 in a box!

blackrat2

Congrats John..both of them are sweet,I am really liking the drape of the Acme (Aero) looks like a really casual fit,ideal for layering clothing and probably very comfy for driving

767fo

They both look great John!!!!

Stef

my vote for the Aero too, but just because i have none, because both look very good !!
And also, the Aero is a bit roomy, wich i tend to prefer more and more.

...I don't see so many "period" pics showing trim/snug jackets. I have a few friends (young friends) who like or say they like the "vintage look", they all prefer and refer to the trim (very very trim look), but my opinion is that it is totally wrong, like this ridiculous snug thing (A2?) Eastman does, this is for fashion victims ;)
You, CBI, have got 2 awsome period looking jackets here, congrats

Is a 21996 much larger in the back than a 18775, or both are roomy ?

--------------
Stef

CBI

Stef - thanks.

I believe the 18775 is also roomy (I THINK I used to own one???)

Maybe someone here knows about the back panel

crazyace

Really nice jackets! Yes, I believe that during the war the jackets were a bit roomier than some may think. Some aircrew personel wore them over layers and a flight suit . Maybe in some pics they look like they are trim and snugger because of what they were wearing them over. If they wore one say over just a t-shirt I am sure they would seem like they fit looser and show more drape. they wouldn`t be able to wear them over much more than a long sleeve shirt if they were really trim and snug to begin with. Just my opinion.

CBI

Looking an MANY period A-2 photos shows fits all over the map, simply whatever the Quartermaster had on hand that was one's size or close. If one looks at the prevalent styles of clothing for the era, men's tended to be trimmer than our current era.

blackrat2

I concur..fits appear to be very broad.
I am wondering if the fit misconception is a Hollywood thing...I am sure a figure hugging uniform would have looked better on some of the old films we have probably all viewed but the reality was probably what you were given and probably the odd swapping of kit between crews depending on what was worn and how with regards to other flying kit...I have nothing to say this was the case but I know from my own experience with new kit I have swapped and traded

TOMG1401

The Werber is amazing, you need to have them re-top stitch the sleeves at the cuffs

Skip

Great to have a range of jackets that fit slightly differently so you can wear which ever one to suit a given occasion. Be interesting to see which one you wear the most.

The look of both are superb... enjoy

CBI

Thanks, I currently own 6 GW's so they all get worn on a rotated basis pretty equally. The lady who does my alternations is having a little trouble with her machine so I will get the top stitch done later - no hurry at this point!