• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Later War Irvin Flying Jacket

Roughwear

Here are some pictures of a later War jacket that I recently bought. I really like the chestnut skin colour. The fleece is very soft and shows little wear. The main zip is a standard Lightning, whilst the sleeve zips were made by Flash Fastener Ltd. All zips have their original triangular pullers. The additional three eyelets on the belt are odd and maybe a theatre job. The buckle is the heavy weight chromed variety seldom seen on Wartime jackets, but is original to the jacket. I have seen them used on later Links jackets.The collar shape is similar to Wareing's collars and is made from a darker fleece than the rest of the jacket, which was often the case with jackets made from recycled flying trousers. It is a very comfortable fit, being a decent size. So many of these late War Irvins were a size 3 or 4 and this one is a little larger than a marked size 5 multi-panel jacket in my collection.

saucerfiend

Andrew,
I don't think I ever saw one like that. Tremendous looking jacket. And a nice fit. Nice addition to your collection! Enjoy.

Brian

Roughwear

jonnyboy said:
Another beauty Andrew!

Interesting panel configuration too. Any ideas on the maker?

Cheers,

Jon

Jon,

It has some of the features of Wareings-collar shapes, belt (the angle of the end and backing to the eyelet rings) and larger rings, but the belt loops and configuration of the underarm vent holes are not typical of Wareings. However they may have changed these details later in the War.

Roughwear

The recession coupled with the ready availability of originals elsewhere on the internet (not Ebay) may provide part of the answer. Moreover there must be a limit to the number of people who want an Irvin or another one! ;)

However, really decent originals in a large size which are well photographed can still fetch a good price on Ebay, but usually less than a few years ago.

John Lever

Roughwear said:
The recession coupled with the ready availability of originals elsewhere on the internet (not Ebay) may provide part of the answer. Moreover there must be a limit to the number of people who want an Irvin or another one! ;)

However, really decent originals in a large size which are well photographed can still fetch a good price on Ebay, but usually less than a few years ago.
Still better than the 1.5 % from the bank !