• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late fathers vintage leather coat ,help with age and make .

scwells

Aota Mutsuhiro wrote the book “Full Gear”. He also wrote the book “Zipper Gear”. I emailed him about “Flash” zippers. Here is his answer: “As far as I know, FLASH zipper is one of Canadian zip from post WW2. I have never researched it. Sorry for that. AOTA”

PDO

Aota Mutsuhiro wrote the book “Full Gear”. He also wrote the book “Zipper Gear”. I emailed him about “Flash” zippers. Here is his answer: “As far as I know, FLASH zipper is one of Canadian zip from post WW2. I have never researched it. Sorry for that. AOTA”
That makes sense as there is a suggestion that the coat may have been made by Durable and Durable may have had companies in both Canada and the US .A poster on FD said the FLASH zipper was a replacement from the fifties and when I took a close look I noticed a difference in the thread attaching the zipper---see below . So it looks like the Jacket may have been made by the Durable company in the late 30,s and had its zipper changed in the 50,s . A lot of may,s but a lot more information then I had a couple of weeks ago.

1697772951527.png

ZuZu

Replacement zipper from the 70s is not going to give you info about the jacket- just a silly rabbit hole. Beautiful patina- don't mess with it IMO. Forehead slap from here in Europe for the forum jacket sleuths!

PDO

Replacement zipper from the 70s is not going to give you info about the jacket- just a silly rabbit hole. Beautiful patina- don't mess with it IMO. Forehead slap from here in Europe for the forum jacket sleuths!
I agree that it appears that the zipper is a replacement and does not tell me anything about the Jacket . Based on comments from this forum and FL it appears that the jacket may come late 30,s and have been made by the Durable company . Jackets from this company appear to have the Talon zipper . I am not a rabbit hole type of person and the research continues . At this point i am not going to do anything to mess with the patina . I was going to get some leather glue and patch a few areas carefully as I can get access under the lining .