• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

last of the ELC cable goats arrived

Andreart

ELC cable goat arrived today size 48, i think i got the last one since they don't have anymore of these. i'm a happy camper, fits real nice, stiff but it'll break in fine. pics to follow.

Andreart

this jacket is the shit. it fits perfect for my frame. i'm sitting on it right now to break it in a bit. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Do I hear a hot shower in the background ........... ? Go on but don't do it extreme as per some on here for your first time. ;)

Dave

Andreart

well 6 hrs into ownership and the pocket seam ripped and the collar hook broke. this aint gonna be good. too bad i live in the USA, shipping costs too much.

Steve27752

Andreart said:
well 6 hrs into ownership and the pocket seam ripped and the collar hook broke. this aint gonna be good. too bad i live in the USA, shipping costs too much.

Contact Gary at ELC ASAP :(

ausreenactor

Andreart said:

Wouldn't happen with the Horsehide! ;)

Couchy

Andrew

That's bad luck- whatcha been doing to it? Hopefully not any vigorous HWT or similar as that'd be a deal breaker for a return due to product failure.

Andreart

didn't do anything. put my hand in the pocket to stetch a little like i've done a hundred times to all my other jackets and rip. small rip i can fix with crazy glue. then i wear it to work in the car and home. put it in the dryer on air dry to tumble it, this helps soften them up. i do it with all my a-2s (i have 7 of them from various high end makers including eastman). take it out and the open part of the hook is all twisted up and broken. i tried to bend it back and SNAP. off it comes. i never use the hook anyway so i can live with that too. i'm just wondering if i got a lemon. whats gonna break next, you know?

Persimmon

Andrew
Sorry about the trials and tribulations of the Cable.
Please keep us up to speed with the news and photographs.
Can I ask about the Tumble dry - Air Dry you mention.
Can you amplify a little.
I have just done my first soaking and drying.
I wore it wet for two and a half hours afterwards a good soaking in the shower and letting it mold to my body
It added ageing OK and then I tumbled dryed it still damp the next day on a low and then a medium heat for 10 mins
in total.
I wanted a little shrinkage (almost an inch all around) and I got just that so all is well.
I must put up some photo's but thats another issue - how do you do that ?
I have another jacket that I want to break it down a little and saw your comments.
What setting is Air Dry ?
How long did you put your seven jackets in for ?
Any shrinkage occuring with the heat of the machine ?
I appreciate they are not wet but on this other jacket I need the size to stay the same.
Hope all goes well.
Alan

Andreart

air dry is no heat, it just tumbles. not wet i didn't do anything to the jacket. i only did the cable not all of them at the same time. i have done this to all of my other jackets, not at the same time, with no issues.

269sqnhudson

My ELC Cable has similar issue about 8 or 9 months ago.
The goat was so stiff it had split excessively where any folding at a seam was required during manufacture such as pocket flaps and collar points. Eastman had applied brown shoe polish to these areas to hide the light colour showing through but I wasn't happy at all. I have never seen an original with this kind of splitting. I sent it straight back and got a Star. This also was pretty weak at the pocket corners where the sewing had perforated the overly stiff/unsupple leather and torn it.

I always loved Eastman but now stick to their cloth/Buzz jackets

Peter Graham

269sqnhudson said:
The goat was so stiff it had split excessively where any folding at a seam was required during manufacture such as pocket flaps and collar points. Eastman had applied brown shoe polish to these areas to hide the light colour showing through but I wasn't happy at all. I have never seen an original with this kind of splitting. I sent it straight back and got a Star. This also was pretty weak at the pocket corners where the sewing had perforated the overly stiff/unsupple leather and torn it.

That's pretty disturbing stuff. I'm looking at my Cable now and it has no such issues. The goat is really soft and supple all over and I can't envision the faults you mention ever occuring with it.

Andreart

Peter Graham said:
269sqnhudson said:

That's pretty disturbing stuff. I'm looking at my Cable now and it has no such issues. The goat is really soft and supple all over and I can't envision the faults you mention ever occuring with it.

out of the box it is pretty stiff for the thickness. it's loosening up a bit. this is a great jacket, the right color and fit. i contacted Gary to see whats next.

A

Anonymous

Peter Graham said:

I quite agree with you Peter. No sign of the stitching issue at all. I wonder if Gary found that there were too many issues like with the hide that meant his failure rate quality-wise wasn't acceptable ?

I have to say that the hide is a bit cardboard-like right out of the box and I can see that staying that way for some time if no accelerated breaking-in process is employed. Unless you get out in the rain or on a motorbike.....mine has gone soft very quickly but that's more due to the kneading and flexing I've been doing. And the GENTLE hot water treatment and NO tumble drier have meant that despite the kneading, the jacket still has the 'memory creases' from wear. Also the water allows the jacket to flex without tearing anything.

I don't hold much by the tumble drier thing either with a wet or dry jacket. Too many holes for things to get snagged in. Been there - done that !!

Andrew, I really hope things get sorted for you one way or t'other. It's an arse when that sort of thing happens. Especially such a beautiful jacket.

Dave

Roughwear

I have owned/own all the ELC original maker A2s and only ever had one problem, which was a broken zip puller on the Werber. Gary replaced it quickly. My 2009 Cable goat has no issues, but I have not tumbled it, just given it honest wear.

Andreart

this is my first new eastman. Gary's sending me a new hook. i don't want to part with it, so it's staying here. starting to break in already. the weather heres starting to turn a little cooler so i'll wear the hell out of it for a couple of months, see what happens. no more tumbling for this one.

A

Anonymous

so then Andrew, you've had a few days ..... how about a few photos of the jacket and of the damaged areas please ? :)

Dave