• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

large M-422a BIN 250.00

Roughwear

I am not sure how much of a bargain this jacket is. There appears to be signs of rot. The zip pull seems to be a replacement. The knits may be repalcements too.

jacketimp

Roughwear said:
I am not sure how much of a bargain this jacket is. There appears to be signs of rot. The zip pull seems to be a replacement. The knits may be repalcements too.

sharp-eyed indeed :)

TMB

It is without a shadow of a doubt a H & L Block M-422a - the pocket flap shape and yellow USN stencil are clear signs. However its had a 1950s military depot refit when the "new" lining was put in plus the small USN punched into the flap. The entire jacket is non-original except for leather and fur. Apart from the lining the cuffs and waist are replacements as is the zip.

I'd say the leather is probably still okay as all the M-422a goatskin tends to be resilient, but its probaby too much considering the overall non-original state of the jacket.

Roughwear

TMB said:
It is without a shadow of a doubt a H & L Block M-422a - the pocket flap shape and yellow USN stencil are clear signs. However its had a 1950s military depot refit when the "new" lining was put in plus the small USN punched into the flap. The entire jacket is non-original except for leather and fur. Apart from the lining the cuffs and waist are replacements as is the zip.

I'd say the leather is probably still okay as all the M-422a goatskin tends to be resilient, but its probaby too much considering the overall non-original state of the jacket.

It is certainly a refurbished Block. There is what appears to be leather rot on the sleeve and shoulders.

TMB

I actually don't think its rot, these jackets very rarely do that. Its simply had a lot of surface wear and is need of a little Pecards tlc...

Roughwear

TMB said:
I actually don't think its rot, these jackets very rarely do that. Its simply had a lot of surface wear and is need of a little Pecards tlc...

I have owned many of these naval jackets and have seen several with rot, which this one has in places.

Willy McCoy

Rot would display a deeply pitted, jagged, and a more pronounced discoloration. Surface abrasion of the dye from cockpit wear etc. could only be pronounced "rot" by the tidiest of collectors. Originally produced in the second world war and reconditioned for service again for the police action in Korea would only make this two war veteran and a "survivor". Bonus. With everyone clamoring for the A-2's the M-422A's are very overlooked and a great value. M-422A's are more practical for having a gun pocket, pen slot, as well as the nice collar/throat closure. The bi-swing back is also a nice feature for extended movement.

Roughwear

Willy McCoy said:
Rot would display a deeply pitted, jagged, and a more pronounced discoloration. Surface abrasion of the dye from cockpit wear etc. could only be pronounced "rot" by the tidiest of collectors. Originally produced in the second world war and reconditioned for service again for the police action in Korea would only make this two war veteran and a "survivor". Bonus. With everyone clamoring for the A-2's the M-422A's are very overlooked and a great value. M-422A's are more practical for having a gun pocket, pen slot, as well as the nice collar/throat closure. The bi-swing back is also a nice feature for extended movement.

I remain unconvinved on the issue of the rot and the jacket would need to be examined carefully to be sure. I would not touch one in this condition. M422As in much better condition than this regularly come up for sale on Ebay for a fraction of the price of a decent A2.

Grant

It's impossible to tell from the photos if this jacket has any type of rot to the leather. My guess is that it's just surface wear to the goatskin. It certainly is an oddball jacket with the replaced liner and zip - also the collar shape and mouton don't look anything like the typical Block M-422a.

Grant

TMB

I think the collar is normal, its just the fur is very worn making it look slimmer, plus also the tips are curled under and less pointy. As I say, I suspect its a military refurb - the retro punched USN is the giveaway.

Not a bad price for a wearer, although I wouldn't have bought it myself. The leather won't be rotten, just heavy wear to the surface.
Grant said:
It's impossible to tell from the photos if this jacket has any type of rot to the leather. My guess is that it's just surface wear to the goatskin. It certainly is an oddball jacket with the replaced liner and zip - also the collar shape and mouton don't look anything like the typical Block M-422a.

Grant