• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Lady Satan" Revisited

Stony

The recent article about the A-2 being found at a Goodwill store prompted me to post a very similar event that transpired in 2002. For those that were part of the group back in the "Yahoo" days, you might remember the A-2 "Lady Satan" that I had that ended up going back to one of the original crew members.

After researching the plane and original owner, the navigator for "Lady Satan", I found the pilot and co-pilot living within miles of each other in Florida. After talking to the both of them and then posting the story on the old forum, someone (I don't remember who), came up with the idea to take donations for the jacket and send it to the co-pilot Jack Godfrey. I sent out inquiries to several magazines and "Fly Past" asked me to get them some pictures and about 1,000 words for an article. I set up the interview with both of them over the phone, and since my wife is a court reporter, she volunteered to take down the conversation. Mark Moye, who lived about 500-600 miles away from the two veterans, volunteered to drive down to Florida and take pictures for the article. One of those pictures is the one of them standing with the A-2s hanging on the propeller.

There was much interest and a lot of donations were given by several forum members, and after the intitial article was published in Fly Past, more donations came into the magazine and the editor presented those to me a few months later on his trip to Seattle at the Museum of Flight where I used to work.

I know that John Geagan (the pilot of the Lady Satan) passed away some years ago, but I don't know about Jack Godfrey. I should see if he's still living and talk to him if he is still with us.

Here are scans of the two articles. The original article was published in the June 2002 "Fly Past" and the follow up article was published in October 2002.

Enjoy!

ladysatanarticle.jpg

ladysatanarticlepart2.jpg

TankBuster

That's pretty neat Stony! I remember discussions about it on earlier versions of VLJ but had never seen the actual article.