• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2A fit question.

rob20uk

Hey All,

Just a quick question on the fit of the L-2A. I have the Bronson version in size 42, and the epaulettes stitching for the cross-section is hanging just over my shoulder edges. On my G-1 and A2 they are at the edge giving a much more defined shoulder edge to the jackets.

So my question is, is this just a totally different style of jacket in relation to the shoulder fit or is the sizing off a little and do I need a smaller size?

For reference the shoulder-to-shoulder measurements are;
G-1 (Eastaman Size 44): 50cm
A2 (Eastman Size 44): 48cm
L-2A (Bronson Size 42): 52cm

This is my first Nylon jacket, so I am just curious to see the collective wisdom on this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brettafett

Hi Rob,
Did you post a fit pic?
Everyone has opinions and perspectives on how a jacket 'should' fit and how it 'should' look. Know you know that.
Well, I recon if its comfortable, you'll wear it. If it bugs you, it'll likely annoy you to the point you'll move it along.
Be that fit, pattern or the type of jacket.
I love my Bronson L-2, it fits a bit differently from my other flight jackets, but its very comfortable and light. You can see where the epaulets sit.
Sleeves are strangely fine, theres no pull when I lift my arms.
I opted for a 40, now way I'd want to go up.
5'10 72kgs/ 158, 40" chest - As Im sure you're aware, my A-2s and G-1s etc are 42s
p.s. Ive returned jackets to Bronson and its pretty easy. If needs be, return postage costs are worth the peace of mind of a good fit.
Bronson L-2 2022.jpg

Shanghai-Mayne

Should edge, at tip of humen’s shoulder blade. Point E at the pic below.
If you’re wearing cloth/nylon jacket, its won’t be a problem.

IMG_4445.jpeg

Greg Gale

Bronson's L-2 and L-2a fits large, it's best to size down. I'm a 40/42, but wear a 38 Bronson L-2a

rob20uk

Thanks for the pictures. I will post some of me wearing it so you can see. The fit I have is more like the pictures you have, especially on the shoulder.

ZuZu

If you want an honest answer- it is that I don't think Bronson's pattern is correct for the L-2 type jackets. Originals are made with a suit-like shoulder- relatively angular- and I'm not sure even going smaller will help. IMO

It's the pattern:

334_1.jpg

chuck-yeager.jpg

original rolen l-2b.jpeg

The squareness is innate in the pattern- the same as the B-15 and MA1s where this shoulder/arm angle is even more pronounced.

Enigma1938

I dunno, I think the Bronson L2 from @Greg Gale looks pretty accurate on him.
maybe the pattern is a little off but it surely has something to do with size and bodyshape also.
In any case the Bronson L2 is really comfy and a pleasure to wear in warmer weather.

rob20uk

If you want an honest answer- it is that I don't think Bronson's pattern is correct for the L-2 type jackets. Originals are made with a suit-like shoulder- relatively angular- and I'm not sure even going smaller will help. IMO

It's the pattern:

View attachment 119761

View attachment 119763

View attachment 119765

The squareness is innate in the pattern- the same as the B-15 and MA1s where this shoulder/arm angle is even more pronounced.

I agree partially with you but some of the other pictures also show a fit that has more of a rounded shoulder.

They seem a bit of a mixed bag really.

IMG_7635.jpeg

IMG_7621.jpeg

IMG_7620.jpeg

Last edited:

rob20uk

I dunno, I think the Bronson L2 from @Greg Gale looks pretty accurate on him.
maybe the pattern is a little off but it surely has something to do with size and bodyshape also.
In any case the Bronson L2 is really comfy and a pleasure to wear in warmer weather.
I think you hit the nail on the head I have a few pictures from the Bronson website. The first is a picture from @Greg Gale
IMG_7622.jpeg

IMG_7626.jpeg

IMG_7623.jpeg

IMG_7628.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7624.jpeg
    IMG_7624.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7626.jpeg
    IMG_7626.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 70

ZuZu

I agree partially with you but some of the other pictures also show a fit that has more of a rounded shoulder.

They seem a bit of a mixed bag really.

View attachment 119903

View attachment 119905
The pattern of the L-2 jackets was as far as I know pretty much standardized- maybe there was a bit of fudge but generally the pattern is pretty much the same as the original B-15 jacket which started this whole series. The shoulder is squarish- like a suit. On the B-15s and MA1s this is very obvious because the padding and various layers of contruction emphasized the square shoulder. The L2 type jackets are less obvious because they don't have as many layers of stuff in the construction.

The junction of the sleeve and body has a tailoring trick which allows more movement and still keeps the square appearance. You can really see it in this Rolen L2B:

original rolen l-2b.jpg

The original L2A had it too:
334_1.jpg

You can look through period photos and find stuff that looks like what you're trying to justify- believe me- I know! Greg's jacket looks pretty spot on but many of the Bronsons I see don't have the shoulder right. Part of it mught be the insubstantial nylon and maybe too thin of a lining layer- I don't know.

If you were to examine a bunch of originals you'd know right away what I'm talking about. The period photos showing sloping shouldered jackets are simply bigger jackets collapsing- the pattern would still have that angular shoulder/sleeve.

This is the pattern- the sleeve meets the body at an angle. You can see it clearly in the photo below. Bronson could fix their jackets with slightly thicker materials and a little tailoring trick. It's close but not completely accurate.

$    L@@.JPG

Last edited:

rob20uk

The pattern of the L-2 jackets was as far as I know pretty much standardized- maybe there was a bit of fudge but generally the pattern is pretty much the same as the original B-15 jacket which started this whole series. The shoulder is squarish- like a suit. On the B-15s and MA1s this is very obvious because the padding and various layers of contruction emphasized the square shoulder. The L2 type jackets are less obvious because they don't have as many layers of stuff in the construction.

The junction of the sleeve and body has a tailoring trick which allows more movement and still keeps the square appearance. You can really see it in this Rolen L2B:

View attachment 119919

The original L2A had it too:
View attachment 119921

You can look through period photos and find stuff that looks like what you're trying to justify- believe me- I know! Greg's jacket looks pretty spot on but many of the Bronsons I see don't have the shoulder right. Part of it mught be the insubstantial nylon and maybe too thin of a lining layer- I don't know.

If you were to examine a bunch of originals you'd know right away what I'm talking about. The period photos showing sloping shouldered jackets are simply bigger jackets collapsing- the pattern would still have that angular shoulder/sleeve.

This is the pattern- the sleeve meets the body at an angle. You can see it clearly in the photo below. Bronson could fix their jackets with slightly thicker materials and a little tailoring trick. It's close but not completely accurate.

View attachment 119923
After reading your post and looking at some pictures I think you are right. The close ups of the shoulder make it quite obvious.

For the money I am not going to complain as the jackets are at a price point where I don’t mind using and abusing them (unlike my more expensive leather jackets). They are also generally very good replicas for the price point. It’s just a shame that with a few extra details they could really nail it.

B-Man2

After reading your post and looking at some pictures I think you are right. The close ups of the shoulder make it quite obvious.

For the money I am not going to complain as the jackets are at a price point where I don’t mind using and abusing them (unlike my more expensive leather jackets). They are also generally very good replicas for the price point. It’s just a shame that with a few extra details they could really nail it.
I always find comfort in knowing that there’s no one other than “We few… we happy few”
on this forum who’s going to know or care that there’s a shortage of details in the repro jackets we wear . So for the price … beat the hell out of it … and enjoy wearing it . I’ll be right there with you, wearing a hand me down repro of something . ;)

ZuZu

I agree with you about the price, quality and general goodlookiness of the Bronson L2 type jackets. You could buy Buzz Rickson but then there's the eternal problem of too large sleeve ends. You could buy a Real Mcoys but then there's a problem with too long of a body (at least the one I had). If you buy a smaller Bronson you get closer to "the look"- as Greg Gale's jacket shows. Sorry to be a putz- I'm crazy and OCD.

mulceber

I agree with you about the price, quality and general goodlookiness of the Bronson L2 type jackets. You could buy Buzz Rickson but then there's the eternal problem of too large sleeve ends. You could buy a Real Mcoys but then there's a problem with too long of a body (at least the one I had). If you buy a smaller Bronson you get closer to "the look"- as Greg Gale's jacket shows. Sorry to be a putz- I'm crazy and OCD.
Well, there's always Good Wear.... ;)