• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Korean War M422/422A USAF

Erwin

A very interesting piece, worthy of posting here.
546_1.jpg

546_2.jpg

546_3.jpg

546_4.jpg

546_6.jpg

The description is from the finished auction: Korean War US type M-422 painted flight jacket that is named to crew chief Russell H Logan and is a size 40. He was a member of the 730th Bomber Squadron of the 452nd Bomb Group. To the front, a leather name tag reads Crew Chief with a painted set of Air Crew Wings along with his name Russell H Logan. To the other side of the chest a Confederate Battle Flag along with "THE REBEL BLUEFIELD WVa" The reverse has a bold painting of THE REBEL unit insignia of the 730th Bomb Squadron. The leather is still supple but there is some flaking to the reverse of the paint. Still retains the original cuffs waistband Excellent History Established in mid-1943 as a B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bombardment squadron; assigned to II Bomber Command for training, primarily in the Pacific Northwest. Deployed to the European Theater of Operations (ETO) in January 1944, being assigned to Eighth Air Force in England. Engaged in strategic bombardment operations over Occupied Europe and Nazi Germany, becoming one of the most highly decorated squadron of the Air Offensive. Engaged in strategic bombardment operations until the German Capitulation in May 1945. Returned to the United States and prepared for B-29 transition training, however, the Japanese Capitulation in August led to the unit's inactivation in November. Reactivated in the reserves in 1947 as a B-29 Superfortress bomber squadron, assigned to Long Beach AAF, California. Never equipped with Superfortresses, redesignated as a light bomb squadron and received B-26 Invaders in 1949. Moved to George AFB in 1950 when Long Beach was closed. Was deployed to Japan in August 1950 for combat duty during the Korean War, and engaged in night bombardment missions over both North and South Korea. Inactivated in May 1952 with assets being reassigned to active-duty units.

Erwin

I'd love to see an ex-owner historical picture from the Korean War when this jacket was in use. Or it is a souvenir jacket, where all the paint job was done after the war? Still a fantastic piece!

Chandler

@Nnatalie's grandfather served in the AAF as a transporter and he had a story he told about how they were transporting navy pilots one time and he "scrounged" a jacket that one of the pilots left behind. So it's not unheard of!
And then he painted the house in it? :p

Erwin

@Nnatalie's grandfather served in the AAF as a transporter and he had a story he told about how they were transporting navy pilots one time and he "scrounged" a jacket that one of the pilots left behind. So it's not unheard of!
I heard a bit similar story from a USMC veteran, who purchased with other guys from their unit field jackets from the sailors in Vietnam.

Chandler

I heard a bit similar story from a USMC veteran, who purchased with other guys from their unit field jackets from the sailors in Vietnam.
Field jackets from sailors? You sure it wasn't the other way around?

My 1943 Garand was purchased from a navy vet -- who had purchased it from a Marine who was mustering out. The sailor (supposedly) smuggled the M-1 back in his seabag.

Were seabags bigger than duffels? I suppose it could have been broken down.

Erwin

Field jackets from sailors? You sure it wasn't the other way around?
Hey Chandler,

As I wrote, he and a few guys from his unit purchased m65 jackets from USN personnel [from a ship, not sure what kind of]. Finally, I haven't purchased the jacket but helped this veteran to explain the proper market value of a few listed items, which I occasionally do if items are from veterans or their families [I do not do this for vintage sellers]. I very often ask sellers about the provenience of items. When was doing research about field jackets, some pieces of information from US veterans were very interesting and valuable.

Chandler

As I wrote, he and a few guys from his unit purchased m65 jackets from USN personnel [from a ship, not sure what kind of].
Field jackets being an issue item, it's and odd occurrence that these marines needed to "buy" them from sailors.

Erwin

Field jackets being an issue item, it's and odd occurrence that these marines needed to "buy" them from sailors.
This veteran said that not all units had field jackets, but you can still have a quick chat with some Marines who served during 67/69 and see what they can say. Honestly, I do not have any issue with what was said by him.

Chandler

This veteran said that not all units had field jackets, but you can still have a quick chat with some Marines who served during 67/69 and see what they can say. Honestly, I do not have any issue with what was said by him.
I have no "issue," but I think he was ripped off.

And how did the sailors have field jackets? Very curious incident.

Erwin

And how did the sailors have field jackets? Very curious incident.
I believe that during any war some enlisted personnel do some not very legal business. I have no idea and believe that these USMC members also didn't care.