• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Korean War Era 51st Fighter Interceptor Group Cap

deand

Took a cheap ebay cap find and decorated it according to an original cap I saw a photograph of. The original had more room for "51FIG" in the yellow part, so i opted for just the "51" on the front. the colors represent the 25th, 16th and 39th squadrons. I like having these caps to wear with my nylon jackets.

The original:
post-492-1234566127-1.jpg

And the similar copy I decorated:
mms_picture2.jpg

mms_picture-2.jpg

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
Speaking of which, wossis?

Whatever it is, it's not a Buzz ... they always used Crown zippers.

• I think the mfg is Buzz Rickson but don't sure,it a good made,heavy weight.
    The item describe as show in the pics below.Please see the pictures.You'll get what you see.

watchmanjimg

deeb7 said:
rich said:
Speaking of which, wossis?

Whatever it is, it's not a Buzz ... they always used Crown zippers.

• I think the mfg is Buzz Rickson but don't sure,it a good made,heavy weight.
    The item describe as show in the pics below.Please see the pictures.You'll get what you see.

David, I'm not sure about the B-15C Mod but awhile back I owned a first-pattern Buzz MA-1 with the same Scovill zip. It had a "house" label.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
David, I'm not sure about the B-15C Mod but awhile back I owned a first-pattern Buzz MA-1 with the same Scovill zip. It had a "house" label.

Oh okay ... I looked at John's CD, and all four Buzz B-15C versions there used Crown, and of course Scovill is far too late to be correct on a B-15C.

The Alpha Replica series used blackened Scovill, but my one remaining example has Gripper on the sleeve.

deand

Thank you for your responses, I'm glad you all appreciated the cap.
Love to have an accurate B-15c repro, whoever made it.

dean

rich

Sorry Dean, I hijacked your thread there :oops:

Good luck finding your jacket, the Buzz one is heavy and beautifully made, but I can't say I've ever seen an original to compare it with. Hopefully they're easier to come by round your way.

deand

Nothing to apologize for, Rich, I love to see where threads can lead. Like an adventure! :D

dean

deand

Re-did the Group cap, using a different font that I think looks vintage to the era, and makes the numerical designation more explicit. Finally finished the three squadron caps. They are not as accurate as I would have liked. They should all be 8 panel baseball caps, instead I had to work with 6 panels, or a leather cap that I used for the 39th FIS. Still, they compliment my nylon collection, and someday I might redo them all with the right caps!

mms_picture51st.jpg

mms_picture51stb.jpg

dean

deand

:oops: Sorry, snow shoveling dulled my brain. No photo exists of its previous state. But I have some great shots of a similar cap, and actual Korean War Era cap that shows those details.

dean