• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Korean era jacket ?

oose

Hi all, I'm looking for a new cloth Jacket and came across this one. Does any one know what this one is?

All the best
stu

watchmanjimg

Stu, I'm pretty sure I know what it isn't. ;)

Seriously, it looks like a privately sourced item like all "tanker" jackets produced after WW2. Alternatively, it could have been derived from a heavily modified existing garment. The insignia suggests late-to-post-Korean War use. Nice-looking jacket in any case!

dmar836

In a reference to the 140th Tank battalion in July, 1953:

"......... The battalion adjutant sent me to the C Company command post (CP) by Jeep. While staying overnight with the commanding officer, Captain Harney, he told me that Hill 755 had become a focal point of the new North Korean advance.................."

So my vote is that the pic is likely from late in the Korean War.

Dave

Tim P

it has a look to me of a cut down padded coverall of some description. note the poor finish at the collar edges and the waistband seam.

Peter Graham

Tim P said:
it has a look to me of a cut down padded coverall of some description. note the poor finish at the collar edges and the waistband seam.
I was thinking the same thing. I'd love to get my hands on one. It looks great with the insignia.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
Actually, aluminum zippers were used on numerous issued jackets prior to 1970 such as the M51 field jacket and parka as well as the M65. Here's an example of an M51 parka with what appears to be an aluminum Conmar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-M-1951-FISH ... 767wt_1185

Thankyou Jim, you've just identified the mysterious OD hooded raincoat, that turned up in the mail yesterday. The Conmar zipper is mostly alloy, with a nickel box, and pin.

Willy McCoy

oose said:

Thank you for the zipper information!!

The zipper pictured looks so new on that jacket. Look where it joins the collar. The collar looks like it's unraveled at the spot where the two converge (not to mention his right epaulet has become unattached). I wonder if this is a picture of an re-enactor? I like the jacket just the same. Looks practical.

Phantomfixer

remove the pockets from a B-10 move them up, remove collar and waist band, replace with knit collar and solid waste mystery solved a modified b-10. Could be anyway
John

dmar836

No reenactor. Google his name and unit and it all jives. Plus, there aren't too many M-48s around anymore.

watchmanjimg

I don't think so, Peter. The VintageTrends jacket is stated to be made of nylon, and the Korean-era jacket is obviously cotton. Bear in mind that the local tailors in Korea could have made just about anything on request, so we shouldn't torture ourselves trying to figure out which issued jacket this garment was converted from as it may simply have been made from scratch. The materials and hardware would have been readily available.

Peter Graham

You're probably right Jim but the vintage trends jacket doesn't look like nylon. Check the closup of the zipper, and I've yet to see an alpaca lined nylon jacket.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
You're probably right Jim but the vintage trends jacket doesn't look like nylon. Check the closup of the zipper, and I've yet to see an alpaca lined nylon jacket.

Peter, my belief that it's nylon was reinforced after looking at the closeup of the zipper. The dobby weave is very similar to that of some early nylon fabrics including that used in certain flight suits. Which issued jacket does the VintageTrends example look like to you? I'm unaware of any AAF pattern like this. Navy? This could also be a privately sourced item, although the remnants of the label suggest a standard black/gold type as seen in many issued garments. Perhaps it was built from one or more cannibalized GI components.

Peter Graham

Jim. It still doesn't look like nylon but I'll defer to your superior experience however I think I've found the source of the vintage trends jacket. On page 316 of Suit up there is a postwar Navy AL-1 heavy flight suit that ticks all the boxes. Mouton collar, chest pockets, black and gold label and what looks like an alpaca liner.