• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Knifes anyone?

STEVE S.

Are they your scabbards/sheaths?
Yes, I reproduce those too. Even made some for WWII military hatchets.
73C47764-F0DF-42A2-91E4-D3F6B1AD7E72.jpeg
2B5886DC-0E6D-4B5D-94F7-713814327435.jpeg
BF2447EF-0F3D-4A77-B06D-0406582D0B34.jpeg
33B0C786-5FD5-46AC-80FA-0BE83F98C431.jpeg
E9E03473-45D4-4259-AC1C-E2258B4BBCD9.jpeg

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

Below is the knife that Steve Sellers refurbished for me. In the end, I was pleasantly surprising how well it came out. Initially I thought that it was worthwhile because it belonged to the original owner (John Z. Colt) of one of my USN type Monarch AN-J-3A flight jackets. Not to mention, worn during the Battle of Okinawa.

According to John Jr. & whom I acquired both the knife & jacket, after the War the knife spent his father's entire working career (Aerospace Engineer) underneath his car seat. Always there if needed for personal protection.

As seen when first received.
Left View .jpg

Right View .jpg

At Steve's suggestion and prior to sending it out to replace the leather handle I soaked the blade in gun solvent for a couple of months.

Colt's Camillus Survival Knife  (2).jpg

In doing most all of the rust was removed.

Colt's Camillus Survival Knife.jpg

By researching Colt I was able to find one of his air crew. In doing I was also fortunate enough to come up with a wealth of related pix. None of which were seen prior by the John Jr.

Colt is seen below hanging by a rope. The result of crash landing his battle damaged TBM Avenger aboard the USS Langley during the Battle of Okinawa. Upon hitting the deck, Colt's Avenger cartwheeled over the side. By shear luck his A/C settled upside down. Pinned and wedged in place by one of the ship's twin 37 MM cannons and antenna.

CrashPIcture Haging By a Rope.jpg

After being handed a rope Colt bailed out of the cockpit and as seen suspended in midair. His flight gear is also hanging near by.

Prior to his accident aboard the USS Langley Colt also crash landed his battle damaged Avenger at what is know known a Kadena AFB All done under fire with the Japanese still holding the opposite side of the runway. Where with the help of the USMC, Colt managed to fix his Avenger using left over Japanese tools & hydraulic oil. Thereafter successfully flying his then repaired Avenger back aboard the Langley.

Both accidents documented from a copy of a diary I obtained from one of Colt's flight crew.

These guys did not go anywhere without their survival knives.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hi All,

Below is the knife that Steve Sellers did for me. In the end, I was pleasantly surprising how well it came out. Initially I thought that it was worthwhile because it belonged to the original owner (John Z. Colt) of one of my USN type Monarch AN-J-3A flight jackets. Not to mention, worn at the Battle of Okinawa.

According to John Jr. & whom I acquired both the knife & jacket, after the War the knife spent his father's entire working career (Aerospace Engineer) underneath his car seat. Always there if needed for personal protection.

As seen when first received.
View attachment 62438

View attachment 62439

At Steve's suggestion and prior to sending it out to replace it's leather handle I soaked it in gun solvent for a couple of months.

View attachment 62441

In doing most all of the rust was removed.

View attachment 62443

By researching Colt I was able to find one of his air crew. In doing I was also fortunate enough to come up with a wealth of related pix. None of which were seen prior by the John Jr.

Colt is seen below hanging by a rope. The result of crash landing his battle damaged TBM Avenger aboard the USS Langley during the Battle of Okinawa. Upon hitting the deck, Colt's Avenger cartwheeled over the side. By shear luck his A/C settled upside down. Pinned and wedged in place by one of the ship's twin 37 MM cannons and antenna.

View attachment 62442

After being handed a rope Colt bailed out of the cockpit and as seen suspended in midair. His flight gear is also hanging near by.

Prior to his accident aboard the USS Langley Colt also crash landed his battle damaged Avenger at what is know known a Kadena AFB All done under fire with the Japanese still holding the opposite side of the runway. Where with the help of the USMC, Colt managed to fix his Avenger using left over Japanese tools &hydraulic oil. Thereafter successfully flying his then repaired Avenger back aboard the Langley.

All documented from a diary I obtained from one of Colt's flight crew.

These guys did not go anywhere without their survival knives.

Cheers, Dave
Outstanding work by Steve on your knife Dave. That was definitely one worth restoring .