• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karl Ort jackets-can anyone help here?

Roughwear

In Full Gear there is a label from Karl Ort. I know the firm sold a range of aviation gear, but I suspect they did not make everything they sold in the 1930s/40s. I have found this on the internet.
Karl Ort - York, Penna
Any kid who was interested in aviation in
the late 30s will have a déjà vu when he
reads that headline! Karl Ort was the source
for all kinds of aviation items in those years.
His catalog was an encyclopedia of aviation
"stuff," His little catalog, priced at a dime -
"send a dime to Karl Ort" - was a door to
dreams for airplane kids. And a lot of
people bought stuff from Karl. Hisso
engines sold for $97 each. Karl had
clothing, and kids all wanted to buy helmets
and goggles, but money was tight. Today a
Karl Ort catalog sells for between $40 and
$75, depending on condition.
- - - - - -

I have also found this information about Karl Ort, who I presume is the same guy who ran the Karl Ort business.

One of the first local pilots, Karl Ort, became known nationwide as a seller of surplus aircraft
parts and supplies. Mr. Ort was born December 19, 1896, the son of John C. and Martha
Ort. He was a 1914 graduate of William Penn High School. He was well known by his
friends and acquaintances for his long white beard. Known nationally as a pioneer of
aviation, he was the 996th pilot registered in the United States and the 12th registered in Pennsylvania. He
flew in the Air Corps in World War I. He later became a founding member of the Daedalians, a
nationwide air corps club for World War I veteran pilots. He was called as a military advisor in World
War II. Mr. Ort was the founder and president of the oldest aviation supply house in existence, Surplus
Trader, Inc. He was a graduate of Franklin a nd Marshall College. He died on December 26,

My question is did they make the A2s which they sold or were they bought in from another maker and badged up with the Karl Ort label?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
Do you know if made them or bought them from other makers and badged them up?

I mentioned it on the A-1 thread a few days ago, Andrew ... all their jackets were made by Gordon & Ferguson.

viewtopic.php?p=68126#p68126

Take a magnifying glass to the 1936 catalogue pages in Full Gear. ;)

Roughwear

On p.155 of Full Gear I have just found an extract from the 1939 Karl Ort Catalogue. There is a picture of their A2. It retailed for $13.95. Times have certainly changed!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
Thanks David. Do you have documentary proof G&F made A2s for Ort?

• LEATHER JACKETS

The jackets I sell are made by Gordon & Ferguson, the largest leather goods company in the business and makers of the famous "Town and Country" Brand of Sport Wear, beautifully styled to please the most critical, and priced to meet the demand for big values .........

Karl Ort catalogue 1936

Roughwear

Thanks, David. This was from the 1936 catalogue, but Ort could have changed mfg by the early 40s when he continued to sell A2s. I hope he stuck with G&F as the quality of their jackets is usually first rate.