• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

k2b flight suit question

I know there are some jet age flight gear collectors on here, maybe you guys can help. I recently picked up a nice blue K2b flight suit, I was wondering what time frame this flight suit was used, and what would the corresponding flight jacket would be.

thanks in advance

watchmanjimg

Hi Tony!

The "B" suffix refers to the color change to sage green from blue, so your suit should actually be a K-2A from the Korean War era. As this was a lightweight flight suit the ideal corresponding jacket would be the blue L-2A, but the earlier olive drab L-2 was worn with blue as well. One might also encounter original photos of the later sage green jackets worn with blue flight suits. Finally, intermediate flying jackets and the occasional leftover A-2 were worn over the K-2 family of suits.

Hope this helps!

archbury918

The blue ones are much more rare. Also found Stateside more than not. Pilots in the Korean Conflict soon discovered that green was a better choice in the event of a crash behind the lines than the intended blue version.

bebel

The more classic jacket would be an L-2A going with the K-2A suit. Note that an OD version of the K-2A has existed as OD versions of B-15C jacket, G-4A and L-1A suits. All these garnments were normally blue. Previous green versions certainly were made at the end of the 1940s before USAF took decision that all his dresses must be in blue.

Franck