• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just won this Schott MA-1 repro UPDATED

deand

Just won this Schott reproduction. At one point it is described as being blue, and then as 'traditional green'. The photos do have a blue cast to them, but that could be the camera's color dynamic. I got it for $52.00 shipped. One other bidder, which might have been a fellow VLJer. I hope not, but if so, I'm sorry.
Looking forward to this one. These photos are from the auction listing:

BiKbfDgBWkKGrHqIH-EIEsK7W1tcBLNd3Wm.jpg

BiKb4qwBGkKGrHqUH-CEEsZnjBNhBLNg4eR.jpg

BiKbjswmkKGrHqYH-EIEsNOPmmBOBLNeVLy.jpg

BiKbpqwB2kKGrHqIH-D4EsLIKYHehBLNe7T.jpg

BiKbv-mkKGrHqQH-EIEsLrs3t3RBLNfrFIJ.jpg

BiKbw7QBWkKGrHqYH-CoEsM-1yLsNBLNfzd.jpg

BiKbzbmkKGrHqQH-EYEsMGLOL9BLNgKJwIw.jpg

BiKb2bw2kKGrHqEH-DcEsN1JZzBLNgkbMQ_.jpg

dean

watchmanjimg

Re: Just won this Schott MA-1 repro

Interestingly, the design is a fair approximation of the 8279A. Hope it works out for you.

deand

watchmanjimg said:
Interestingly, the design is a fair approximation of the 8279A. Hope it works out for you.

Jim, can you tell me more about the 8279A? I didn't know Schott made these types of repros. It sure looks like an Alpha to me. I wish the tag was more correct.

dean

watchmanjimg

Sure, Dean. The original 8279 MA-1's wind flap was squared off at the top. It looks cool, but try looking down while you're wearing the jacket unzipped and you'll understand why they rounded it off for the successor model. That's the A. With the introduction of the B model the webbing tab for the oxygen mask and the mic tabs at each armpit began to disappear, but certain '58-dated Bs retain the mic tabs or in some cases both features. So far all of the '59 and '60 Bs I've seen lack the tabs. I also haven't seen a '58 B with a sleeve decal, but I can't say for sure if this is a defining characteristic though every jacket I've seen with rounded wind flap, oxygen and mic tabs, and no decal has been a '58 Dobbs B.

Your Schott jacket has the oxygen mask and mic tabs as well as the decal and rounded wind flap, and therefore most closely resembles the 8279A specs. As far as it looking like an Alpha, well, don't they all? :lol:

Hope this helps!

dujardin

nice jacket for daily wearrrrrrr

hope she fits you

byeeeeeeeee marcel

deand

dujardin said:
nice jacket for daily wearrrrrrr

hope she fits you

byeeeeeeeee marcel

Thanks, Marcel! Seller said it fits like a 44 or 43(?) even though it's an XXL.

deand

watchmanjimg said:
Sure, Dean. The original 8279 MA-1's wind flap was squared off at the top. It looks cool, but try looking down while you're wearing the jacket unzipped and you'll understand why they rounded it off for the successor model. That's the A. With the introduction of the B model the webbing tab for the oxygen mask and the mic tabs at each armpit began to disappear, but certain '58-dated Bs retain the mic tabs or in some cases both features. So far all of the '59 and '60 Bs I've seen lack the tabs. I also haven't seen a '58 B with a sleeve decal, but I can't say for sure if this is a defining characteristic though every jacket I've seen with rounded wind flap, oxygen and mic tabs, and no decal has been a '58 Dobbs B.

Your Schott jacket has the oxygen mask and mic tabs as well as the decal and rounded wind flap, and therefore most closely resembles the 8279A specs. As far as it looking like an Alpha, well, don't they all? :lol:

Hope this helps!

Thank you, yes, I appreciate your help!

dean

Tim P

you cant grumble at that,,,, can I have first dibs if it doesnt suit for any reason?? ;)

USMC_GAU-21

Nice one Dean!!

I was also not aware that Schott made repros! Looks like a nice size for daily wear, even a patch project to go with your great looking hats!

I will have to keep my eyes out for some Schotts!

Great data on the MIL-SPEC-8279, I also have not seen a Dobbs B with a decal.

r/Dan

deand

Tim P said:
you cant grumble at that,,,, can I have first dibs if it doesnt suit for any reason?? ;)

No problem, your dibs is now noted and you will have first shot at it. :)

dean

deand

USMC_GAU-21 said:
Nice one Dean!!

I was also not aware that Schott made repros! Looks like a nice size for daily wear, even a patch project to go with your great looking hats!

I will have to keep my eyes out for some Schotts!

Great data on the MIL-SPEC-8279, I also have not seen a Dobbs B with a decal.

r/Dan

Thank you, Dan.

dean

deand

These are just initial images that include a mid-sixties cap that I won on ebay to add to SAC style caps to enhance my nylon jackets. As you can see, the jacket is a healthy sage color, I'd say even a little more green than grey, moreso than these shots show. Forgive the self-in-the-mirror-studio pictures, no one around here is going to take them for me. And they are just cell phone shots. The jacket is a good fit, roomy but not too much. I love it, and the price $52 shipped!

GetAttachment51-1.jpg

GetAttachment52.jpg

GetAttachment54.jpg

GetAttachment53-1.jpg

dean

Willy McCoy

How does the nylon feel compared to a mil. spec. jacket? Pocket material? Zipper size and brand? Looks like a nice jacket and a great score!

deand

Willy McCoy said:
How does the nylon feel compared to a mil. spec. jacket? Pocket material? Zipper size and brand? Looks like a nice jacket and a great score!

I wish I could answer you as one who has handled a mil-spec jacket. Alas, all I own are repros. :oops: It is very similar in the areas you asked about to an Alpha L-2A I own. It is more thickly insulated, of course, being an MA-1 style, along with the microphone wire snaps on the sides and the inner windflap. If I did not know it was from Schott, and there was no tag inside, I would have guessed it to be an Alpha reproduction from the 90s. The nylon on the outer shell is very smooth shiny and supple, different from a couple of other jackets I own, but similar to an Avirex I have. The zippper is heavy and has pull tabs on the inside and outside of the zipper, which is blackened. The sage color of the jacket is a bit more green than grey, the auction shots were way off, not bluish by a mile. he pics I've posted are not able to capture the greenish hue of the jacket. Pocket insides are nylon. The fit is ample, not cavernous as one might expect from a 2XL, considering I wear a 44, or a big 42. It seems that most of these repros put an oxygen tab that is more correctly suited to a B-15D not the longer, narrower tabs I've seen on genuine MA-1s.

dean

Willy McCoy

I have an original L-2B that has the green lining and also has the "reversible" or two sided zipper even though it doesn't have the Indian/Signal/Emergency orange lining. It has no sign of an nomenclature tag either which leads me to believe that it's a factory second because of the zipper. Probably made during the transition from green to orange lining. Great jacket all the same.

watchmanjimg

Willy McCoy said:
I have an original L-2B that has the green lining and also has the "reversible" or two sided zipper even though it doesn't have the Indian/Signal/Emergency orange lining. It has no sign of an nomenclature tag either which leads me to believe that it's a factory second because of the zipper. Probably made during the transition from green to orange lining. Great jacket all the same.

Got any pics? This sounds interesting.

watchmanjimg

Right now I'm reluctant to speculate without seeing pics. Assuming it's an actual pre-7448D (which I have no reason to doubt), one scenario could simply involve a replacement slider assembly.

Willy McCoy

My "Samsung" photo software is being skewed by my McAfee "protection" plus crap so I can upload pics. On the old forum I posted the eBay pics and we discussed the lack of nomenclature tag (no stitch holes) and the information on the zip was hardly speculated on at all. I looked for excessive stitch holes along the zip and only found the one set to hold the closure tape to the jacket. Sucks bein' poor. I got a pal with a camera so I'll have him take pics and email them to me.