• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just got this ANJ-3A Monarch jacket

bazelot

Just got what i believe to be an ANJ-3A Monarch jacket. Not in the greatest shape but it's all there and looks like it has a good history behind it. Plus it did not cost me an arm and a leg. Too small for me but interesting piece of history.

BQBJFFBmkKGrHgoOKisEjlLl5Pu2BJ2msm3.jpg

BQBJJFgWkKGrHgoOKjYEjlLmZ5C3BJ2ms2O.jpg

402d_3.jpg

4139_3.jpg

47d1_3.jpg

48a4_3.jpg

49f9_3.jpg

bazelot

It does look original. That was what puzzled me with this jacket. The rest of the jacket is legit. Maybe the pull was replaced. Will know when I get it.

bazelot

Anybody knows if a Serval zipper can be original on a jacket like this? I had never seen one before.

Peter Graham

bazelot said:
Anybody knows if a Serval zipper can be original on a jacket like this? I had never seen one before.
I'm not 100% sure but I think Serval zippers were used on the the knife pockets of some M-42 jump jackets. If this is the case they were around in WW2.

Roughwear

Peter Graham said:
bazelot said:
I'm not 100% sure but I think Serval zippers were used on the the knife pockets of some M-42 jump jackets. If this is the case they were around in WW2.

Yes, you are correct Peter, they were used on some M-42 jump jackets. They were also used on bike jackets through to the 60s, womens' dresses and many other items of clothing.

bazelot

Thanks guys, I will post more pics when I get it. I know that the AN series were a lot more liberal in terms of what zippers were put on the jackets but I had never seen a Serval one, JC?
Better Duck, this is either the AN-J-3A or the AN-6552, it's not the M-422A. You can tell by the US stamped on the back collar, only the AN series had this US stamp on the back all the other Navy flight jackets had USN.

kevlarg

Roughwear said:
Peter Graham said:
bazelot said:

Yes, you are correct Peter, they were used on some M-42 jump jackets. They were also used on bike jackets through to the 60s, womens' dresses and many other items of clothing.

My m-42 jump jacket has tiny two serval zippers on the knife pocket and a crown for the main zipper. I've never seen that serval with the large pull.

bazelot

I got the jacket. Mistery solved. The slider is Talon so the pull was replaced at one time. Paint seems to be original. I need to clean it up and I will take pics. Under the name on chest there is apainting of something but i cannot say what. weird for aNavy jacket to have so much marking on it. I found in the pocket the name of guy with his serial number stamped on the inner pocket lining. So it all seems to be legit. i am actually pleasantly surprised with this jacket.
I have noticed a big trend from sellers on Ebay to only point out the positives of a jackets and hide the negatives. pictures can be VERY deceiving to assess the condition of a jacket and leather in general.