• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just a comment

galvestonokie

i know we have huge preferences when it comes to jackets. i am as biased as anyone else. in the military (USMC flight crew), i was never issued a G-1. at the time, we were at the end of the supply system and, until you could bargain/cumshaw a real jacket, some wore field jackets while flying. i never had the chance to obtain a G-1 but did get and wear a WEP jacket both in Vietnam and later in Okinawa. as i had to be quite active while flying, the WEP allowed great freedom of movement, and i got very used to it, even when the jacket became so filthy (hydraulic fluid, JP4, whatever) that it bordered on disgusting. wasing only faded the grime but i loved the jacket. sadly, can't tell you what happened to it after i became a civilian. now own a couple of WEPs and they still are a joy to wear.

i've tried to wear A-2s, owned several. i'm admittedly hard to fit. recently sold an A-2 that i couldn't get used to and pulled out a used Cooper G-1 (probably D model). great leather and patina, came from the bay with the crappy artificial dynel collar. tried the jacket on and was amazed at how well it fit. the bi-swing back was designed to facilitate movement and boy does it ever. this jacket again felt like it was made for me like a custom suit with multiple fittings. i have since had a trusted tailor replace the crappy dynel with goat, essentially changing the jacket from a G-1 to a bastardized ANJ3?? (not sure of the designation). what i got is a jacket i can wear in warmer weather that has a wonderful fit--much more wonderful and comfortable than any A-2 i've tried. IMHO, the mouton/dynel is a bit much for Texas or the middle east, where i am now.

i know i won't convert any A-2 fanatics to modified G-1s. i'm just saying...

havocpaul

Very interesting comments, and a little coincidental as I this month managed to obtain a 1970's WEP in size 44 long (still rather on the short side though) that has a few issues but was issued as still has US flag on left shoulder and velcro for name tag, lining is torn but shell is good, all for the little sum of £10! And then a 'BIN' of a mere £40 got me a 'D' series G-1 from Ralph Edwards Sportswear with named 'crew chief' leather name tag and VR59 'Lone Star Express' patch in virtually unworn condition and couldn't believe what an excellent fit and how comfortable it is to wear. I have collected, bought/sold/traded A-2's for over 30 years and it is THE iconic flight jacket but sometimes when it comes to daily wear there are more comfortable jackets around.

Peter Graham

Good observations. I've always preferred the Navy jackets over the A-2. I've never owned a WEP but I like the look of them. Galvestonokie, I take it you live in Galveston, Texas ? I spent a fun few days there many years ago. Is that park still there with the WW2 submarine, a destroyer and if my memory serves me correctly, a Sheridan tank ?

galvestonokie

The WEP jacket (nylon) was never intended for the use it found with so many. first of all, it was designed as the top 1/2 of a winter flight suit. you can see buttons on the inside of the jacket waistband where the pants hooked in. they were discovered and worn by whomever could get the because they were immensely comfortable and, at least some of the time, more available than G-1s. They later became frowned upon a bit because they were not fire resistant like the later CWU 45 jackets. being nylon, they would just melt--not good in an aircraft fire. also, they were warmer than the G-1.

contrary to what many believe, it did get cold in Vietnam and it was usually damp. G-1s and WEP jackets were in abundance if you could get one. there are a number of photos around. flying at altitude (3k feet) with the doors off could get quite chilly. it got cold enough once, that i remember my hootch mates and i literally piling most of all the clothing we had on top of ourselves when sleeping to try to stay warm. this was an unusal situation.

i don't live in galveston now, moved to houston a few years ago as the drive was too much.

g

galvestonokie

PS, yes the park in Galveston still there and survived Hurricane Ike in 2008. A lot of Galveston did not survive and there was around 6 feet of water in most of the buidings on the Strand. and the floors of those buildings was elevated about 3 or 4 feet from the street, so safe to assume about 9 or 10 feet of water there. many of those businesses now have high water placards.

the park is on Pelican Island and is called Seawolf Park and there is USS Seawolf, WWII sub and a destroyer or DE. been a long time since is was there but we used to sail past it. there is a WWII era wreck on a nearby island.

B-Man2

How about some pictures of your conversion. I think they'd be of interest to some of us.

Regards
B-Man2

ButteMT61

Seems odd you'd find the G-1 fits easier than the A-2s as to me, they're more forgiving.
That said (not knowing your body type) I think the G-1 (or others in the series) are some of the best, most versatile jackets made.
I loved the beater USWings I got so much, I'm ready to drop the $1300 on a GW 422now. Allen's pics sold me. No need to apologize about liking the G-1. The only gripes I can remotely associate with them is "Top Gun" :lol:

442RCT

I've always liked the fit of a G-1 with the bi-swing back and high arm pits, I've had one for over 20 years. Until I bought a couple of Persimmon's A-2s, (Aero, ELC and a RM), I didn't know how comfortable an A-2 could be. Before I bought his well broken in jackets, I had A-2s that were okay, but not as good as my well broken in G-1.

galvestonokie

Hi all:

regarding pix of my journey from issued WEP to current collection of G-1 types, i have posted one below of me wearning WEP. this was taken at MCAS Futenma (airfrog knows this place). i managed to get this jacket back to the US and have one picture of me wearing it with civilian clothes after discharge. i have no idea what happened to it. when i was discharged, i returned home and left my seabag in my parents' garage. didn't even think about it for 20 or 30 years. i eventually got the seabag but the uniforms were gone. i had two younger brothers and that's where my uniforms went.

as i mentioned in the beginning of this post, the WEP and G-1s spoiled me for fit. i've tried a number of A-2s but never found them to be as comfortable as the USN jackets. on the other hand, i do quite admire the style and history of the A-2s.

[
MeWEP.jpg
][/img]

mindful

galvestonokie said:
Hi all:

regarding pix of my journey from issued WEP to current collection of G-1 types, i have posted one below of me wearning WEP. this was taken at MCAS Futenma (airfrog knows this place). i managed to get this jacket back to the US and have one picture of me wearing it with civilian clothes after discharge. i have no idea what happened to it. when i was discharged, i returned home and left my seabag in my parents' garage. didn't even think about it for 20 or 30 years. i eventually got the seabag but the uniforms were gone. i had two younger brothers and that's where my uniforms went.

as i mentioned in the beginning of this post, the WEP and G-1s spoiled me for fit. i've tried a number of A-2s but never found them to be as comfortable as the USN jackets. on the other hand, i do quite admire the style and history of the A-2s.

[
MeWEP.jpg
][/img]
i like the cap in this picture what is the name of is if anyone knows

watchmanjimg

It's a typical (for the period) USMC OG-107 cotton sateen utility cover. I believe the pattern still exists, albeit in their current MARPAT digital camo.

galvestonokie

thanks for the ID on the cap, USMC called "utility cover." never knew the designation, this was issued in boot camp. funny thing was, i thought that when we were issued uniforms like this, that it was part of the deal. later found out that we were charged for the uniforms. first several USMC paychecks had maybe $1.50 since uniform and other stuff was deducted. this included shoe polishing stuff, brasso, and shaving stuff.

this cover was starched as we had returned from Vietnam to Okinawa, basically garrison duty with associated bull***t, like starched clothes.

comment on the jacket: the WEP jackets were quite short-waised as they were designed as the top half of a winter flying suit, sometimes called a poopy suit. maybe like the gear they wore in "Bridges of Toko-Ri," but i don't know. all my flying was warmish weather--california, Western Pacific, North Carolina. nevertheless, they were warmer than G-1s and that was all that some of us could get.

bob