• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey to the land of Aero Leather : an opportunity to bring back an Irvin ?

Kermit3D

Well, my wife told me that she wanted to visit Scotland... indeed it sounds like a beautiful place and I'm really excited about it.
But... besides the beauty of the Scottish countryside, there is something else I have in mind (you know what I mean...). ;)
Of course : Aero Leather ! What a happy coincidence !

It's a chance for me to get a jacket I can try on beforehand, and to avoid customs taxes and shipping costs.

It will probably be an Irvin Merinos "light weight". It's actually the only Aero Leather jacket that really appeals to me. I've wanted an Irvin for a long time, and I think this is the perfect opportunity.

In fact, I want the same jacket as Jan's (@mulceber ), which I think is absolutely gorgeous. I don't want a "Churchill Tank" jacket construction, very heavy and stiff.

There's only one thing that makes me hesitate...
I'm one of those people who prefers historical authenticity above all. I am not an expert on Irvin jackets, and I have a hard time evaluating how historically correct the "Irvin Aero Leather Merinos Light Weight" is.

In Burt and John's excellent review, I understand that these "light weight" jackets have sacrificed authenticity to make them more wearable.
How true is that ? Is it incomparable to an original Irvin jacket ?

Last edited:

mulceber

I'm not an expert on Irvins, but my impression is that the Brits were using all the sheepskin they could get their hands on, and so there was considerable variation in thickness and density of pile. So I think the light-weight Irvin is still pretty accurate. And for what it's worth, I think it's a really cool jacket. You won't regret owning one.

JonnyCrow

Well, my wife told me that she wanted to visit Scotland... indeed it sounds like a beautiful place and I'm really excited about it.
But... besides the beauty of the Scottish countryside, there is something else I have in mind (you know what I mean...). ;)

It's a chance for me to get a jacket I can try on beforehand, and to avoid customs taxes and shipping costs.

It will probably be an Irvin Merinos "light weight". It's actually the only Aero Leather jacket that really appeals to me. I've wanted an Irvin for a long time, and I think this is the perfect opportunity.

In fact, I want the same jacket as Jan's (@mulceber ), which I think is absolutely gorgeous. I don't want a "Churchill Tank" jacket construction, very heavy and stiff.

I'm one of those people who prefers historical authenticity above all. I am not an expert on Irvin jackets, and I have a hard time evaluating how historically correct the "Irvin Aero Leather Merinos Light Weight" is.

In Burt and John's excellent review, I understand that these "light weight" jackets have sacrificed authenticity to make them more wearable.
Kermit, ulterior motives? would she kill you if she found out? haha just kiddin, you'll love Scotland, my son goes there a lot and to Edinburgh, its cold in the winter mind haha

JonnyCrow

most important thing to wear with your leather jacket in a Scottish winter? a willy warmer hahaha

s4rmark

Aero leathers Irvins Rock!!
85847C50-D976-4E59-A4E2-F2529B0B874D.jpeg

Kermit3D

I'm not an expert on Irvins, but my impression is that the Brits were using all the sheepskin they could get their hands on, and so there was considerable variation in thickness and density of pile. So I think the light-weight Irvin is still pretty accurate. And for what it's worth, I think it's a really cool jacket. You won't regret owning one.

Yep Jan, that's what I think too. In the period photos you can see all sorts of dimensions and fits. Some look oversized and heavy while others are tight and light.

The one you have (Aero Merinos) is an "early war" model right ? The same kind of pattern that could have been used during the battle of Britain ?
Is it a size 42 ? I think that's what I'll need. Maybe with a little more length in the sleeves. I think Aero Leather offers custom sizes...

Anyway I'm glad you didn't sell yours, you would have regretted it.

Kermit, ulterior motives? would she kill you if she found out? haha just kiddin, you'll love Scotland, my son goes there a lot and to Edinburgh, its cold in the winter mind haha

Ahahah ... do you want to know the truth? (I'm a little ashamed) ... It's a trip I'm offering to my wife for her 40th birthday ! And I'm taking the opportunity to buy myself a jacket... it's a bit selfish when you think about it. :D
But she knows about it and has no problem with it. And she is the one who proposed the destination without any influence from me. I repeat, it was a happy accident. ;)

But of course we are going to take advantage of the trip to visit Scotland. I don't know it at all, I've never been so far north in my life. It's a place that attracts me a lot and I'm sure it's very beautiful.

Aero leathers Irvins Rock!!View attachment 87657

Yeah ! We can say that Aero Leather knows how to make Irvins. ;)

mulceber

Yep Jan, that's what I think too. In the period photos you can see all sorts of dimensions and fits. Some look oversized and heavy while others are tight and light.

The one you have (Aero Merinos) is an "early war" model right ? The same kind of pattern that could have been used during the battle of Britain ?
Is it a size 42 ? I think that's what I'll need. Maybe with a little more length in the sleeves. I think Aero Leather offers custom sizes...
They do. To be honest though, I'm not positive you'll need the extra sleeve length. The sleeves on mine are already rather generous. It's possible (though by no means certain) that the folks at Irvin will measure you and say "actually, the 42R measurements will fit you nicely." Or they might tell you to go for a long, for all I know.

But yes, mine's the early war model. I suppose the light-weight shearling would be more accurate to the late-war model, when Britain was short on...well, everything. But I'm happy with the one I've got. :cool: I think you're going to love the Merino Irvin, Kermit.

But of course we are going to take advantage of the trip to visit Scotland. I don't know it at all, I've never been so far north in my life. It's a place that attracts me a lot and I'm sure it's very beautiful.
Enjoy the Scotch! If I were in your shoes, I'd be contemplating a distillery tour. :D

flyincowboy

Kermit you will be very happy with the quality of sheepkskin Aero use. don't want to highjack your post but my AERO B3 is fantastic ! the fleece is so warm and 21mm long I am just dreaming about a very cold winter with temperature less than0 celsius .. At this time i am just wearing a T SHIRT with my jacket! and i feel comfortable.... like we say in french; le pied!! and congrats to go to scotland should be a nice place to visit .

fred aero b3.jpg

tjoenn

As much as I'm an AAF guy, I really admire the design of the Irvin: when you slip it on, it hangs off you like a smock, but zip it up, and it instantly becomes a comfortable (and cozy), well-cut jacket.
Agree! I have a special love for the B-3 jacket, probably because it's the one I remember from movies and thought was the coolest looking jacket ever. However, I have to admit that the Irvin is more stylish and practical, with the zippers on the sleeves making it much easier to put on, the belt makes a big difference and love how easy it is to get the collar to stand up without using the strap. I just came back from making groceries and it's just so easy to wear. When I put on the B-3, I feel restricted although bullet proof :)

Lord Flashheart

As much as I'm an AAF guy, I really admire the design of the Irvin: when you slip it on, it hangs off you like a smock, but zip it up, and it instantly becomes a comfortable (and cozy), well-cut jacket.
You can't say it better than this and Aero's Irvin repro's are great. As S4rmark says they do indeed rock :). I've been wearing my Aero Late War most of the day (with one small ELC Irvin exception ...) and I don't believe you'd regret one.