• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket weight

cgreen

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how heavy some of the B3 and B6 jackets are?

Different animal altogether I know, but I found a vintage Vanson competition weight cafe racer that I've been told is 7-8 lbs, and I'm trying to get my head around what that feels like.

Is a seven pound jacket hard to wear? Is it so heavy as to be uncomfortable? I have no frame of reference.

Looking for your thoughts, thank you. Enjoy the day.

Chris

D97x7

My size 46 Eastman B-3 that I was wearing yesterday is 2.76kg.
My FQHH Highwayman is around the same.
The real heavyweight is the steer hide Cheyenne which is 4.7kg and yes it's a challenge to wear.
Non of them are uncle though once they're on.

CombatWombat

Hi Everyone,

Different animal altogether I know, but I found a vintage Vanson competition weight cafe racer that I've been told is 7-8 lbs, and I'm trying to get my head around what that feels like.

Is a seven pound jacket hard to wear? Is it so heavy as to be uncomfortable? I have no frame of reference.

Chris
Bovine leather I find us usually the heaviest of the leathers I've handled......but since they're all either motorcycle wear or police jackets my experience might be different to yours haha.
I will say the Connelly steerhide I have in my highwayman is hefty to lug around but feels like a suit jacket made with decent winterweight wool.....so "feeling the weight" of the jacket might have more to do with the design/tailoring of the jacket and how it fits

cgreen

Thanks very much, I appreciate the thoughts. Holding a jacket in your hands will obviously feel quite a bit different than when the weight is distributed across your shoulders and back - I was just wondering if 6-8 lb jackets were noticeably heavy to walk around in.

D97x7

I don't notice the weight at all once they're on, but that's just me, I'm sure I've read of others that do.

cgreen

Thank you, I believe it will come down to individual preference - I like a heavier feel but others may prefer a lighter weight hide.

Gary

Hi Everyone,

Chris
I have the same jacket from Vanson, when you are wearing it I don’t notice the weight.

cgreen

Thank you Gary - I suspect in a way putting on a heavy, substantial jacket makes you feel very protected on and off the bike, like you're ready for anything that comes up, including bears.

MikeyB-17

It’s not the weight that’s the problem with my FQHH Highwayman, it’s just the stiffness and thickness of the hide. I love it, not complaining, but it’s not the easiest jacket to wear. I’m hopeful that it will eventually loosen up. My new to me ELC G-1, with its thin, supple goat, is a dream to wear, and thinner hides is the way I plan to go in future. I’ve never found weight as such to be a problem-with the B-3, for example-just the restriction of movement that tends to go with heavier, thicker garments.

cgreen

That's a good thought MikeyB, I hadn't considered the stiffness and restriction of movement. I have a HH Lost World's that's actually quite thin but the hide is nonetheless stiff. I'm guessing a well-worn vintage piece would have more suppleness to it, provided it had been taken care of.

Members online

Latest posts