• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket Sun Bathing (Or sheer madness ) !!

Persimmon

Ian,

I will keep my jackets safe inside in the dark now until the sun shines once more in England.

Ah yes next year !!

Thank goodness we have seasons

Alan

Dr H

You know what they say where jackets are concerned Alan, a little of what you fancy does you good...

Sunbathing in strict moderation ;)

Jason

Like human skin... a litte sunlight is ok, in moderation.
UV in sunlight is an ionising form of radiation, meaning it has the power to break molecular bonds. This is the mechanism by which most of the damage is done. I imagine the first thing to happen would be fading to the knits and exposed lining. And it looks like the longer term effects to the leather has already been covered in detail. If non-ionising radiation is found to be an issue, I could be in a lot of trouble...

So my thoughts: don't let 'em laze in the sun like some tourist on a resort beach; get them out & active in all weather, riding on your back, sharing life's adventures.

Silver Surfer

fyi: i have an mint 1947 star g-1 that has knits [perfect condition] that have faded to a reddish color much like an aero a-2. the muton collar also is faded. interestingly, the goatskin hides are still dark, creaky and as i say, in pristine condition. when i first got the jac, i thought that the knits were replaced, as i have never seen reddish knits on a g-1. close inspection proved that the knits are indeed original. all of this led me to poring over as many wwll pix of g-1s as i could find, to see if other originals had reddish knits, and yup, this does seem to the case in a few jackets. dye lot? specific contract? dunno, but it looks sharp.

269sqnhudson

Jason said:
So my thoughts: don't let 'em laze in the sun like some tourist on a resort beach; get them out & active in all weather, riding on your back, sharing life's adventures.

I agree, sunbathing your jackets is quite preposterous