• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket sizing advice required please, for a Bill Kelso A-2

jollygreenslugg

G'day folks,

Like so many others here, I'm on the quest for a better A-2 reproduction. I started the quest six years ago when I started working to lose weight. I worked myself down from 145kg (320lbs) to 95kg (210lbs) in a year. I bought a *cough* Banana Republic A-2 copy, which was the best I could afford as incentive to lose weight. Sized 44, it was what I wanted at the time, but as time passed, I realised that I wanted something closer to the real thing. In 2010, I'd put some weight back on, but got back on a health kick, and am now aroung 78kg (170lbs) after losing the weight and building muscle at the gym. A couple of years ago I bought a similar Banana Republic mall-jacket A-2 in size 42. Last year, I bought a Cooper orange label in 40R which is a pretty good fit now. All of these jackets received the painting treatment, and a shot of the Cooper and comparison with the real artwork are attached.

FB01.jpg

FB3.jpg

The Banana Republic 42 copped the 'Pistol Packin' Mama' artwork;

J05.jpg

I'm a family man with a high-needs disabled stepdaughter, so I'm not in a position to shell out big dollars for a luxury like a top-line jacket. I'd like to buy a mid-price reproduction, and I'm very impressed with the Bill Kelso range. I'm just not sure of the sizing. Having lost all that weight, I'm not carrying fat now, but I'm a bit loose around the middle. My chest measures out at 41 inches now, so I guess a 42 would be about right. I wear 32 jeans comfortably, but 'spill out' a little above the waist. I'm hoping that people here may have a bit of understanding of the sizing issue I'm facing. Does a Bill Kelso 42 sound about right? No doubt, I need to consider differences with the exciting new jackets which are mentioned on the site as being available soon.

One thing that confuses me is the Cooper sizing. The 40 jacket measures around 22 inches from pit to pit, whereas I thought it'd be tighter. Is this standard for modern jackets? The Banana Republic jackets are looser. Is this to allow wearing of layers under the jacket? I'd have thought that a 40 jacket would be 20 inches around the chest. Another thing is that the Cooper is certainly built to accommodate larger figures, and I'm hoping that a Bill Kelso 42 would be a trimmer cut. The big thing that bugs me about the Cooper is that I don't like the soft feeling of the goatskin. The Banana Republic jackets are certainly nothing to write home about as far as accuracy goes, but I did prefer the heavier and stiffer feel of those jackets.

So, I'm sure I could get this information from the good people at Bill Kelso Mfg, but I thought I'd also throw it open to the floor. I've started to put money aside, and I'm hoping to be ready to make a purchase mid-year. I read these pages regularly, and am excited about a seal horsehide jacket as the one for me.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. I've learned a great deal already and hope to continue this way.

Cheers,
Matt

Roughwear

Re: Jacket sizing advice required please, for a Bill Kelso A

Very few people here appear to have BK A2s, although there is quite a lot of interest in them. The owner of the firm, Platon, is a member here and would be able to advise on the correct size jacket for you. BK jackets are modelled on originals and as such are likely to run smaller than Cooper and other low end jackets. Therefore I suspect a 42 or a 44 would be the most appropriate for you.

atkins

Hi Matt, i think Platon can help you with the sizing, myself would order at least one size larger because i like loose fit A-2 like these heroes wore ( thank you ,John ):

Crew_003.jpg

Stef

Hi Matt,

I own a BK. It's a rough wear 27752 copy in Seal. It is a size 42". Measurements are:
-Shoulder width: 19.3 "
-Pit to pit : 23.2”
-jacket length : back from down collar to bottom (waist band included): 25.20”
-Windflap: 23.6”
-Sleeve lengh :24.4”
-Waist width (abobe waist knit band) : 57 cm, 22.5”

It is very easy to wear with lot of room in the mid waist, while also trim enough.
The fit is comparable to those A2s in the WW2 photo posted above.
It's a bit larger in the waist than every other A2s i have (they are all Goodwear, including a RW copy, and are around 20.5 just above the waist knit band).
Very very nice jacket for a very cool price, but i have the smooth hide from earlier BK production.
BK is waiting for new hide from the tannery with more grain to realease new patterns, like AERO 18775. And i'd like to order one.

Be careful, my jacket is sized quite like a modern jacket. But from a conversation i had with Andy from Bill Kelso, i think they will use a more WW2 like sizing for the next productions. it Means the measurements above will probably be tagged a 44".
Sure BK team will provide more accurate answer about sizing, they are vey nice.

you can have a look at this thread for some BK pics:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11483

cheers

----------------
Stef

Rutger

Hm, addicted already.
Unfortunately trying on jackets is the best way to find the right fit (kicking in an open door
7996.gif
).

Everybody (including me) over here has stimulated the economy by buying jackets on internet that on paper would be a fine fit, only to be sold on later because the fit wasn't quite right. I was incredibly lucky to discover an Eastman agent about two miles from work, that saved me alright.

Measurements are to an extent important, as they are helpful in determining too large/too small/about right.

The next best thing I would guess is to send your best fitting leather jacket to platon (Bill Kelso ;) ) along with an explanation, or even maybe including some pictures of yourself wearing it.
Shipping it to Greece is about $40 from the US.

If I ever get to spare the money to order a Good Wear, I will send them my best fitting jacket for sizing.

But hey, maybe someone else has a better idea.

btw, your attitude
thumbup.gif

Jaguar46

I have 2 Bill Kelso A2s. I have a 41" chest, and the 42 tag BK fits me well. I am 5'8", 155 lbs, 41" chest, and wear a 34" Levi 501.

I must commend you for losing almost 50% of your body weight. Do you have before and after pictures?

jollygreenslugg

Thank you for your responses, advice and encouragement. The search is on!

I'm going to get in touch with Platon and explain the story to him. Hopefully I'll see a new jacket around mid-year. Jaguar46, it sounds like we have similar builds.

Oh yes, here's me in 2005;

Me.jpg

...and a recently;

July.jpg

Cheers,
Matt

dmar836

Amazing! Like a different, and younger, person. You are an inspiration!

Dave

ButteMT61

You DESERVE a nice, new A-2 for the new you!
Well done. Now change your name. It doesn't fit!

Kennyz

Wow! You look like a different person now...Good job!!!!!

Ken

A

Anonymous

Congratulations,

I think we gotta make a TV ad saying that wearing the Bill Kelso jacket helped you lose the weight.
That will increase sales, ha ha.

What was the diet you followed?

Stef

Impressive !

congratulations Matt

--------------
Stef

jollygreenslugg

Thank you very much, gentlemen. I'd forgotten about this thread, and it makes sense to update it now.

I've ordered a Bill Kelso house A-2 in seal and it is on its way to Australia. It took me some time to get to the point of placing an order only because I wondered about sizing. Innumerable emails went to Andy, and he was most helpful the whole way. Especially given that I could have been asking questions with no intention of going any further, Andy still responded with all of the information I requested. So, very good customer service there.

I've received notification that the jacket is on its way, and I'm looking forward to its arrival. I'll be sure to post pics.

As to my weight loss, I'm happy to share how I went about it if anyone is interested. I'm pretty lazy, so it wasn't overly-intense!

Cheers,
Matt

alabama

I have a bit of a stomach to loose so any help is great.
Because if you did that with not to much work it's brilliant, well done.

Phantomfixer

Matt WTG!!! :shock: :eek:
so yes share...
1. your weight loss success..
2.. your jacket when it arrives

You could be the new "Jared" for BK maybe a discount on your next purchase.... :p

jollygreenslugg

Well, my Bill Kelso jacket is here, and I'm delighted. It took eight days to travel from Greece to rural Australia, and was well wrapped and packed. It's one of the last house jackets in 42, and it is the most comfortable item of clothing I think I've ever owned!

It has a little room to move, and being fresh out of the box, it hasn't molded to my form as yet. I was a little concerned that it may be a smidgin too big, but I've found plenty of wartime shots of men wearing A-2s that weren't overly trim, and I like the look. I'm already saving up for one of Bill Kelso's new contract jackets, in russet. Depending on the cut of the original maker pattern jackets, I might go down a size, but I don't want it so trim that it's uncomfortable to wear.

I have a crappy Cooper orange label jacket in 40, and it is trimmer, but not particularly comfortable as it is rather strictive in movement. I think the challenge is that the trimmer the jacket, the less actual moving around can comfortably be done in it. I'm delighted with my new jacket, and I can drive and ride with it quite comfortably. I'd be open to honest feedback and comments as to fit.

It feels great, it smells great and it looks great. I can't thank Andy enough for his continued patience and help as he answered questions in email after email. I'd have no hesitation in recommending Bill Kelso for a new A-2.

Thank you Platon and Andy. I'm a very happy customer.

Cheers,
Matt

A2a-1.jpg

A2b.jpg

Who

Man, you look like a million bucks. Great jacket and amazing transformation.

ButteMT61

Yep, that looks spot-on! If BK could deliver some damn jackets, I think they'll be successful. They still, to my amateur eyes, look more like originals than most. If we could go back and look at issued jackets, I'd think these look pretty legit. But who am I...