• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket Painters And Patience

442RCT

Over the last 9 months, I've commissioned 6 jackets to be painted. One artist I worked with turned around 2 jackets for me within 2 weeks per jacket. One jacket was spot on and exactly what I wanted (it was a copy of a WW2 jacket-Spring Plowin'). The second jacket was of a shapely Elvgren witch riding a broomstick. That jacket was mostly what I wanted, but the pin-up girl needed a few touch ups. I commissioned a jacket from a new painter, it was a Romain Hugault inspired pin-up and a P-51. I was so impressed with his work, I commissioned a second jacket from him, Marilyn Monroe and an F-86. This artist's turn around time was about 3 weeks per jacket and he e-mailed me photos of the work in progress. I had the opportunity to commission a jacket from an aviation artist, after one week, he e-mailed me with an apology that my jacket had been delayed because he had been laid up with the flu. A week and a half later the jacket arrived with a note apologizing with instructions to deduct 30% and there would be no charge for postage. I sent him the full amount we'd originally agreed upon and the postage.

I have one jacket I sent at the end of November to be painted. I haven't received it yet, but I'm in no rush since it was a really complicated paint job. (besides the back, he's painting the front and shoulder patches as well). The artist and I have been keeping in touch, seems he's a perfectionist and doesn't want to return the jacket until he's satisfied with the final artwork. I told him I could wait for perfection...besides it's in the 90's here and I don't plan on wearing the jacket until Oct. or Nov. anyway. The fact he's keeping in contact with me is what's keeping me patient.

If anyone wants some artwork, I can personally recommend 2 artists with quick turn-around-times. ;) :D
ps- The third artist who painted the Elvgren witch jacket told me in no uncertain terms when I tried to commish a 3rd jacket from him, he was very angry that I'd touched up witchy-poo and made him look bad. I told him, I thought he was a very capable painter or I wouldn't have wanted a 3rd jacket from him...it was that he didn't have the 'touch' when it came to pin-up girls, but he was marvelous with cartoon characters, etc....I think that pissed him off even more.