• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JACKET IN BAD STATE BUT COULD BE INTERESTING WITH HIS YELLOW

Roughwear

dujardin said:
http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/WW2-Veste-usaaf-equipage-bombardier-tombe-en-Ardennes_W0QQitemZ190248263316QQihZ009QQcategoryZ13970QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MARCEL

RAF Coastal Command Irvin. It certainly has damage but could be restored.

dujardin

tanks Andrew, i remember one was for sale some month ago.
alas photos not really of good quality, i will request him to have better one.

byeeeeeeee marcel

Roughwear

dujardin said:
tanks Andrew, i remember one was for sale some month ago.
alas photos not really of good quality, i will request him to have better one.

byeeeeeeee marcel

I own a decent example which I will be selling in the autumn.

Andrew

In that state it would only be uselful as a donor Marcel. Don't look at any with broken skin.

Andrew

Rich, the hood usually folds back under itself turned inside out. It doesn't really get in the way, but if you (someone else not you specifically!) had one of these and wanted a normal fitting collar they probably just snipped it off.

Regarding the 32 pattern mae west, he's had a number of these for sale and they have been getting pretty high prices. I was thinking about it myself, but a few months back I bought a pair of MkIIIA goggles from him which were touted as NOS when in actual fact they were originals that were refurbished by Steve Silburn many years ago. This Trident bought a ton of stuff from a US dealer who was liquidating his stock and I suspect all this came from that lot. The original dealer had passed off all the kit as original to this seller, so as i've noticed he's had a few of these I just have niggling doubts that they are all real, and I think that Silburn also makes repro 32 pattern Mae Wests.

For the record, Trident (Bob) was very good about refunding me all costs straight away.

rich

Thanks for the heads-up Andrew, glad you got the refund. I used to buy lesser bits and pieces from a dealer (pre internet) who offered a lifetime guarantee regarding authenticity, I guess faking/misrepresenting stuff is always going to be a problem whether it's intentional or not. BTW I couldn't be so heartless as to butcher a yellow hood!!

dujardin

many thanks to all of you for your advise.
i will check this bad jacket, at low price (very low) it could be interesting just to spare the yellow hood.

byeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

owwwwwww other question, did USAAF crewmember use these british jacket ? maybe one of the 5th ERS ?????

Andrew

dujardin said:
owwwwwww other question, did USAAF crewmember use these british jacket ? maybe one of the 5th ERS ?????

There are plenty of shots of them wearing standard Irvins, but I have never seen a picture of a Coastal Command Irvin being worn by AAF crews.

Sorry Rich, I didn't really mean you would do it- just my lazy grammar!

rich

Sorry Rich, I didn't really mean you would do it- just my lazy grammar![/quote]

Andrew, have you ever bought from these guys? There's a yellow hood there which is shown quite clearly. I guess they're a must
for serious collectors, but I always like the idea of wearing the stuff if I want to - which does make me a bit of a vandal I suppose.

http://www.oldnautibits.com/search/sear ... vin+jacket

Andrew

rich said:
Andrew, have you ever bought from these guys? There's a yellow hood there which is shown quite clearly. I guess they're a must
for serious collectors, but I always like the idea of wearing the stuff if I want to - which does make me a bit of a vandal I suppose.

http://www.oldnautibits.com/search/sear ... vin+jacket

Rich, yes I've bought from Geoff (Pringle), he's 100% a pleasure to deal with and his stuff is great- that's why it costs more than Ebay but you can be safe knowing that it's correct. He's also a wealth of knowledge and is highly regarded.

I also only buy jackets now that fit me also and I hardly ever get to wear an Irvin- which is a good thing I suppose.

This is one I used to own, you can see the hood folded back, it can actually roll under itself but you can see whay some probably just prefer a standard collar. Really nice jacket but it had taken some terrible damage at some point and an earlier owner had made a feeble attempt at repairs.

RIMG0069.jpg

RIMG0079.jpg

dujardin

hello,

when i need to buy Pecard, i deal with him; really good contact, quick and NO problem.

byeeeeeeeeee marcel

rich

This is one I used to own, you can see the hood folded back, it can actually roll under itself but you can see whay some probably just prefer a standard collar. Really nice jacket but it had taken some terrible damage at some point and an earlier owner had made a feeble attempt at repairs.

From the front it looks like a really nice jacket Andrew, shame about the repair - I guess you could have replaced the entire panels though if you'd wanted? I like to think I'd own one eventually for my fledgling collection - all I need is the time, space and money!
I've trawled through the oldnautibits site quite often, but the good stuff is always flagged as sold - you have to be quick!

rich

Peter Graham said:
MikeyB-17 said:
Aero used to refuse to convert the hoods on Coastal Command Irvins to regular collars.
Just bloody right too !

Were the customers informed that this was what they were getting? Bit cheeky otherwise................