• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

jacket id requested

nic-c

Hello from England,
This is my first post and you guys will hopefully be able to identify a jacket currently in my possession.
There is contained in the pocket a registration card dated 26 sept. 1918, Name on card , Martin Lawrey
of St. Antoine Detroit. I can post photos of jacket and card if required.

The jacket is sheepskin lined, square pockets, one throat strap, brown/tan in colour.
There are no inside pockets or waist straps and is in a well worn condition., as is to be expected with an item
of this age.

I hope this is sufficient to inspire some interest as i believe this jacket could be a rare item.

Thats all for now, please advise and i will post photos as requested.

I bid you farewell

Nic-C

fleet16b

nic-c

Was not sure how to post pics and ask me to help.
He kindly sent these pics of his mystery jacket for the members to comment on
What does everyone think ???

SDC11895.jpg

SDC11894.jpg

SDC11893.jpg

SDC11892.jpg

4.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Squinting at the thumbnails, I would guess at a dead 1940's shearling ... something like a M444.

MikeyB-17

It's really hard to tell from those pics-I tried saving them and blowing them up without much success-from the shape of the throat latch it certainly looks like a Navy jacket-my guess is also an M-444. If so, you're right, it is quite rare-in good condition. Navy sheepskins are notorious for not surviving well. I suggest uploading pics to one of the free photo hosting sites like Photobucket, and using that to post them here.

fleet16b

MikeyB-17 said:
It's really hard to tell from those pics-I tried saving them and blowing them up without much success-from the shape of the throat latch it certainly looks like a Navy jacket-my guess is also an M-444. If so, you're right, it is quite rare-in good condition. Navy sheepskins are notorious for not surviving well. I suggest uploading pics to one of the free photo hosting sites like Photobucket, and using that to post them here.

Thats how they came out after I uoloaded to photobucket :eek:

dmar836

Looks AN-J-4 esque. Doesn't look like it's related to the 1918 date unless it belonged to an older two-timer.
Unfortunately, those pics are small and against a very distracting rug. Otherwise I sure the guys could ID it easily.
Dave
Kansas City

fleet16b

Sorry about the size of the pics but thats what was sent to me and thats how they came out in Photobucket.
If someone else thinks they can blow them up , p.m. me your email and I will forward the pics on to you.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Like Mike, I've resized some of them, but the quality isn't there to give much of an improvement. I'm sticking with 1940's M444, or similar .... and I agree with Dave, the 1918 card doesn't relate.

nic-c

Hi there,
if it would help i can take photos on a less disracting background.
I appreciate you guys helping try Id this jacket, Its being carefully repaired at the present.
A heavy duty zipper, and i shall saddle soap it when it comes back, otherwise i fear it wont last
for my use.

Let me know and i shall do as asked

cheers from blighty

nic

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
nic-c said:
... if it would help i can take photos on a less disracting background.

Sure, that would help ... on the bed over a plain white sheet is an easy way.

MikeyB-17

Who's repairing it? The job needs to be done properly-sticking a YKK zip on it is going to seriously dent the value, if that's what you're interested in. It ought to go to somebody like Aero or Eastman who will repair it using the correct materials and zip. Also, I think I'm right in saying saddle soap is not the stuff to be putting on it. Opinions differ on this, and others here know better than me. If you really must put something on it then a light coat of Pecard's would probably be the way I'd go, but others may have better advice.

nic-c

Its in Shirleys wool, cross street Camborne. She hasnt started it yet , and what value are we talking ?
It had a crap zip on it,and leather so distessed, well beyond i'd say, if you wanna meet and take a look i'll get it back asap,
also a patch on the shoulder,

look forward to your reply

nic, vyvian street

nic-c

Sorry for my non understanding but what does 'PM'd' mean ?
Ive ordered some Pecard antique Leather dressing, i'll treat it
to a dose and see.

Cheers

Nic

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
nic-c said:
Sorry for my non understanding but what does 'PM'd' mean ?
Ive ordered some Pecard antique Leather dressing, i'll treat it
to a dose and see.

PM is a Private Message, there's a link to messages at the top of the page.

With the jacket needing repair, it's probably safer to hold off on the conditioner, and save it for the finishing touch.