• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket fiddler needed

A

Anonymous

Hi All,
I'm trying to find someone who thinks that they could successfully modify an N-2b for me. I would like to know if it is possible to remove the hood and replace it with a knit collar 'a la' MA-1 , L-2b etc, etc. Has it been done before ? Can it be done?

Doesn't matter if you were US or UK based as the doner jacket would probably end up being bought in the US anyways.

A suitable number of beer tokens would be issued via Paypal for your services :D :D

Cheers,

J_H

Tim P

It is I am sure possible.
the obstacle (and I hate to be a nay sayer) is that the neck hole for a hooded jacket compared to the neck hole for a collared one may be much bigger leaving you with a heyowge great waistband looking thing round the neck.

A

Anonymous

Maybe then a use of some of the hood to make a short collar might be the answer then ??

J_H

watchmanjimg

Just my opinion, but I've considered this before and feel it's a needless waste of a perfectly good N-2B. Aside from changing the hood, you also have the external wind flap to deal with. Wouldn't you be better off simply buying an MA-1?

Tim P

or one of my alpha B-15,s... at least they have collars and historic provenance for conversion. ;)

A

Anonymous

watchmanjimg said:
Just my opinion, but I've considered this before and feel it's a needless waste of a perfectly good N-2B. Aside from changing the hood, you also have the external wind flap to deal with. Wouldn't you be better off simply buying an MA-1?

You could on that vein argue that a B-15 modified was a 'needless waste of a perfectly good' B-15. We are talking about a common jacket. And the fit is nothing like an MA-1. AND I like the windflap.

As for the Alpha models Tim, I have my BR B-15c now. You know that there's no comparison !

This'll teach me for thinking out loud !! :)

J_H

Tim P

thinking out loud has got me into bother more than once :lol:

cant seem to give them alphas away.

watchmanjimg

JACKET_ HEAD said:
watchmanjimg said:

You could on that vein argue that a B-15 modified was a 'needless waste of a perfectly good' B-15. We are talking about a common jacket. And the fit is nothing like an MA-1. AND I like the windflap.

As for the Alpha models Tim, I have my BR B-15c now. You know that there's no comparison !

This'll teach me for thinking out loud !! :)

J_H

By all means think out loud--that's one of the reasons this forum exists, isn't it? Sorry for butting in as I guess you weren't really seeking opinions on the wisdom of this modification, but rather its feasibility. I've actually considered such a job myself, but for me the wind flap was the obstacle. Assuming you leave it in place, you'll probably wind up with something approaching a WW2 USN deck jacket in appearance. I just compared an N-2A with one of my MA-1s and their neck openings are fairly close in size, so I don't think you'd have a problem swapping the hood for a collar. It could be done very cheaply if you remove the hood yourself and perhaps cut a collar from the waistband of a scrap MA-1. A tailor would merely have to attach the new collar.

A

Anonymous

Thanks watchman, that's exactly the kind of info' I was looking for.

I wasn't looking for opinions it's true. I go my own way and don't mind what other folk think. I certainly don't ask if I should or should not do something to a jacket or ask 'does my bum look big in this ?' or 'do i look like an honest-to-god flyboy in this A-2 ?' ;) I'm secure enough in myself to make an ass of myself without anyone elses help !! :D

I've never had an N-2 so the comparison you gave me was perfect. Now to find one in an XL ...........

I seem to remember that spare knits come up from time to time on greedbay too so might luck out there. Mash Co make them I think.

Cheers though for your help,

J_H
Dave

watchmanjimg

Given the notoriously short length of many N-2 series jackets, your bum probably WILL look big in it! :D

Seriously though, I can probably cut you a section of knit from one of my scrap jackets. PM with your mailing address if interested.

A

Anonymous

Hi I like the look of it ,its not so top heavy looking now .The neck does seem to be in proportion and not overly large .I would say go for it ,also you could make some eppaulettes out of the hood while your at it .

Good luck all the best Jeff

A

Anonymous

My problem has been finding someonewho has the machine to do it. I could ask Steve Silburn but I suspect whilst he wouldn't say no, I'd have a wait on my hands.

Any suggestions from UK-based jacket heads on who might be able to assist me ?

DAve :ugeek:

jeroen

For any serious sewing work I always go to my Turkish tailor round the corner. It took me some teaching to get him up to speed with the notion of restauration versus repairs but now he delivers some excellent work at a very reasonable price. What I normally do is take all the nessesary spareparts, the threat I want him to use and a sample or a couple of very clear pics of how I want him to do the job. And thats it! Nothing to it. My point is that there's bount to be some very skilled Pakistany or Indian Tailor round the corner for you in the UK who will do it if you take the trouble of telling him exactly what to do or even look over his shoulder when he's doing it.

Good luck,

Jeroen

p.s. I used to have an N2-with a b15 type collar, worked perfectly too. Fantastic jacket, still regret I gave it to a now long gone girlfriend.

A

Anonymous

That sounds like a plan Jeroen ! We do have a Chinese tailor in the town. There's also a military tailors (I think) about 20 miles away. Might be worth a shot.

They could also put Swing's badge on my B-15C !

Dave :ugeek:

A

Anonymous

Hi there you go! and the project has begun ,Chinese tailor working for you just like the flying tigers and the 23rd fg in the cbi theater of operations WW2 .Good luck .

All the best Jeff