• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket designations

Hawkeye

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the rhyme or reason behind the different number designations of ww2 flight jackets. Such as, how come after the A-1 and A-2, the next jacket in progression was not called the A-3. Or the B-1, B-2, B-3 series came about, and suddenly we leap along to the B-10, and then again to the B-15. Im sure these numbers werent simply pulled out of a hat, and that there was some sort of logical reason for each one. Ideas?

T-Bolt

Very good questions, Hawkeye. I don't have any good explanations.....maybe someone else does. :cool:

Ted

rob75IT

On my opinion the B "line" was for fleece lined jackets. B-7, B-9, B-11, the other number.... just prototypes that didn't past true.
The consecution of the A-1-2 was intended to be the ANJ3 and 3a. Become AN just because it should be a Army and Navy jacket.
Roberto

Peter Graham

Hawkeye said:
Or the B-1, B-2, B-3 series came about, and suddenly we leap along to the B-10, and then again to the B-15.
Err, you forgot about the B-6, B-7, B-9, B-11, B-13 and B-14.

zoomer

A few more...be advised, what follows is a mess, with two types of gear often in issue at once with the same letter/number. And what got an A and what a B is not at all obvious...maybe it had to do with funding allocations?

A-1: sheep-lined horse trouser for B-1 jacket (in issue at same time as A-1 light jacket in late '20s-early '30s)
A-2: blanket-lined horse trouser for B-2 jacket (in issue at same time as A-2 light jacket in early '30s)
A-3: shearling trouser for B-3 jacket
A-5: lighter weight shearling trouser for B-6 jacket
A-9: cloth flight helmet; (same time?) alpaca-lined cotton trousers for B-10 jacket
A-11: leather flight helmet; (same time?) trousers similar to A-9

B-1: sheep-lined horse jacket; (later) canvas billed cap
B-2: blanket-lined version of B-1; (later) shearling/horse earflapped billed cap
B-4: folding garment bag
B-7, 8: goggles (B-7 later parka)
B-11: B-2 jkt/A-2 trou when issued as a suit; (later) parka
B-13: elastique Ike jacket w/slash pockets
B-17: women's B-15 issued to flight nurses