• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket Art On Repros ?

442RCT

I like jacket art on A2s, if the art is good, for me the jacket only has to be a 'reasonable' reproduction...I know, I know, it's heresy around here. The art doesn't even have to be a copy of an original. I've purchased 'tribute' jackets and painted a few myself.

But from watching eBay sales over the last year, I've noticed that a reproduction jacket is more difficult to sell and the seller doesn't get as much for them as an unadorned A-2 reproduction.

I'm guessing that's why I was able to pick up a Jerome painted jacket for $ 430.00, which was less than the price of an unpainted Aero jacket.

So my little 'niche' specialty of acquiring repro art A2s is a good thing. :lol:

Weasel_Loader

I'd say jacket art is to some tacky while others love it. It's really strange in that most original surviving jacket art pieces are not even close to the elaborate repro art work we see today. Myself, I'm not big fan of tribute or super elaborate art work on jackets, but I don't mind a subtle art job on a good quality repro. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
442RCT said:
So my little 'niche' specialty of acquiring repro art A2s is a good thing. :lol:

Yep ... you can brush them over with paint stripper, and make money. ;)

Hamsterbear

442RCT said:
I've noticed that a reproduction jacket is more difficult to sell and the seller doesn't get as much for them as an unadorned A-2 reproduction.quote]

I guess it depends on the artwork first, and the quality of the "canvas" second. I've seen some nice artwork on really cheap jackets, some even with a seam down the back, and very high end jackets where the design of the artwork, however beautifully painted, didn't appeal to me. Some artwork is of pin-up girls with some nudity, which I personally wouldn't wear in public.
I had Jerome paint me an A-2 that honors a dear friend of mine who flew 35 missions in B-24's during WWII. I hardly ever wear it in public, and I would never sell it, so I have no clue as to what it would sell for....
-Brian
BomberJacket.jpg

CollingsWingsofFreedom2008077.jpg

ps- the jacket is a SEFTON