• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J.A. Dubow ac20960

Roughwear

J. A. Dubow was awarded their first of four contracts for A2s on 8th August 1941. The ac20960 contract was for 13,000 jackets and very few come up for sale these days. Last month I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire a size 46 from this pre-War contract. The jacket is made from thick russet horsehide which after conditioning has become quite supple. All the Dubows that I have seen from this contract had Crown zips, but this one unusually has a M-40 Kwik zipper fitted as did first contract Cable Raincoat jackets. Has anyone else seen a Kwik zip used on this contract? It is not mentioned as being used on 20960 contracts in Gary Eastman's A2 Flight Jacket Identification Manual.

The jacket has clearly seen some action, but the lining and pocket label are in tact, although the knits are early, most likely Wartime replacements. The ball stud snaps were made by RAU Fastener Co. The jacket has a collar stand, which was not a feature of the ac 27798 contract.

Although tagged a size 46 it fits more like a typical Wartime 44. It is an interesting pattern, being relatively broad in the shoulders, with wide sleeves, but is very trim at the waist, rather different from the large 27798 contract. Here are a mixture of flash and natural light photos of the jacket.

CBI

looks terrific. was this on eBay recently? it looks familiar.......

Great find, super details!

Roughwear

CBI said:
looks terrific. was this on eBay recently? it looks familiar.......

Great find, super details!

Yes it was John. The auction was not particularly well presented and from the photos the zip looked like a later replacement. There are still very rare jackets out there like this but they hardly ever come up for sale. I have not seen a size 46 first contract Dubow come up for sale during the last ten years of avidly watching Ebay auctions! What a sad life! :lol:

Silver Surfer

i have a second contract [forgot the #] dubow, that has an original kwik zipper. the second contract is also a some what rare bird, and they were made with either a collar stand or a simple collar. mine is made with the simple collar. my jac is in super nice condition with buttery soft hh that is not the heavy hide we see on most dubows. size 42. andrew's dubow is only one i have seen in a larger then 42 size.

Roughwear

Well I'm glad it's not just me who has not seen a size 46 come up for sale! Vic your Dubow 23379 was actually from a contract of 10,000 and these jackets hardly ever appear for sale. Perhaps you can post some pics of yours Vic? Does yours have a the Kwik M-39 fantail zipper or one like on my Dubow?

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, great jacket.
Which are the contracts that you don't have?

Roughwear

PLATON said:
Hi Andrew, great jacket.
Which are the contracts that you don't have?

Thanks Platon,

Apart from the early to mid 1930s jackets I have owned A2s from most contracts over the years. Part of the fun of this hobby is acquiring interesting jackets and selling others to avoid being out of pocket too much!

It is easier to list the ones I currently have than the ones I don't have:-

W535 ac16159 Rough Wear size 44 (near mint)
W535 ac18091 Rough Wear size 44
W535 ac21996 Aero size 46 (near mint)
W535 ac23380 Rough Wear size 44
W535 ac27752 Rough Wear size 44
W535 ac27753 Cable size 44 (near mint)
W535 ac27753 Cable size 44 (painted 8th AF)
W535 ac20960 Dubow size 46
W535 ac27798 Dubow size 46
W535 ac28557 Star size 44 (near mint)
W535 ac28560 Poughkeepsie size 44 x 3
W535 ac29971 David D Doniger size 42 (This is the ultra rare no-name version of the one Doniger contract)
42-21539-P David D. Doniger & Co size 42
42-1401-P Rough Wear size 44
42-16175-P Perry size 44 (near mint)
42-18246-P S.H. Knopf size 44 (CBI) and size 46
42-18777-P United Sheeplined size 42

Rutger

I really enjoy these postings, I think I said before they should be bundled and printed.

Would there be a way to gather these postings into one sticky?

Andrew

Dat's noice!

2427011,osq4TfXo43sAJASaT6HYQAUKITxq_dHfAqnqe+d6m+5GjloOH+T4rMz5VSWRYOGwLjvcjUu1YrRzqTUZsIYyBg==.jpg