• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s Time to Get Back to Our Roots .. Episode 2 , The Aero 21996.

B-Man2

Ok .. Tried to make you “Masters of the Air “ guys smile with the episode 2.
So once again here’s another original for all of you to look at and ask questions about and to use as a comparison to some of your repros, to see where they are spot on and where they fall short. This particular Aero A2 is a “Depot Re-Dye” As you can see from the over dye around the edges of the collar and the lining.
The knits have been replaced but the rest it the jacket is original. The re-dyed Aero 21996’s have some great coloring and tones to them if you have the desire and ability to remove the re-dye and bring the jacket back to its original colors .Below are photos of a jacket that had the re-dye wear off .
IMG_8391.png

It has some great tones and colors to it.
So as I had posted earlier in this thread I realize that for a variety of reasons original wartime jacket acquisitions aren’t for everyone. I was fortunate to have picked a few of these up when prices were reasonable and I had some saved money laying around . My only intention in this thread is to share some of these with all of you, for your enjoyment and in case you have any questions . Ok here’s the original Arto 21996 in size 46 with a Crown zip.

IMG_2444.jpeg
IMG_2453.jpeg
IMG_2442.jpeg
IMG_2443.jpeg
IMG_2440.jpeg
IMG_2441.jpeg
IMG_2445.jpeg
IMG_2446.jpeg
IMG_2447.jpeg

Last edited:

blackrat2

That is such a cool looking jacket Burt, the dye has been really well applied, as in done in a tidy manner certainly from what I can see

B-Man2

That is such a cool looking jacket Burt, the dye has been really well applied, as in done in a tidy manner certainly from what I can see
John
If you look closely at the edges of the lining and inside of the pockets, those are the give away areas that really tell the story. They just couldn’t get deep enough u side the pockets to complete the process .

Micawber

Nice. The dye colour used to re finish is hard to pin down and tends to look different depending on so many factors, obviously lighting included. Hints of grey with a metallic sheen.

it's just my eyes.

B-Man2

Is it horse hide Burt?
If I remember correctly this is cow leather. Just as an aside, years ago when I joined the forum all A2 jackets were thought to have been made from horsehide. The thought that cowhide may have been used was blasphemy.
Years later when Gary Eastman released his A2 Manual, a lot of DNA testing proved that many of the contracts were not made of horsehide but were in fact cowhide, we were in disbelief. But as we now know cowhide was used in about 30% or more of the WWII contracts.

Chandler

Ok. Just asking because the texture, wrinkles etc look like my horween dubow.
I remember back then that there were many reports from tanneries saying there was no real visual way to tell the difference between tanned horsehide and tanned steerhide.

Now I see some internet chatter saying it's simple to tell the difference... but no real evidence showing how.

Chandler

Anyone know if a gw steer hide is stiff like most steer hides?
I had an early GW steer I sold to @Tattoo A2 that was very pliable. I also have a couple other steerhide jackets that are very soft and pliable. But yeah, I also have one that is stiff and bullet proof... but I also have two horsehide jackets I could describe similarly. There's no solid description for either hide.

Hell, I have 3 different goatskin jackets that all feel different -- tanning and finish variances.

blackrat2

The steerhide he uses is really nice ref GW

No I saw that Burt but yours is good compared to some that have been posted

B-Man2

Here’s some interesting information about this contract, attributable to Gary Eastman’s A2 Manual ; These jackets were made in 1941 at the cost of $8.82 each. The cost of the contract was $223,000.00 US and there were 25,000 jackets produced .
$8.82 each and that was the cost for one jacket back in 1941. Imagine squirreling away a dozen of these things and what they’d be worth today . :rolleyes:

Last edited: