• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This Really A Sefton Clothing Co. A-2 ?

DylanDog

This supposedly Sefton Clothing Co. A-2 is currently listed for auction by a British salerooms, however despite having a one of their labels it’s unlike any Sefton A-2 I’ve seen.

Certainly from the photos with a 3 piece leather back, hand-warmer pockets, inside pocket, 100% Nylon Taffeta lining label, dry cleaning instructions label, size label is just M (not actual chest size), etc. it doesn’t appear to be up to Steve Silburn’s standards.

Although the label is worn it does appear to say ‘Sefton’ , but for me that’s really just about the only thing that connects it to the Sefton Clothing Co..
Is it likely someone has just stitched this in at some later date to add credibility ? If so, why not go for something from a manufacturer who is less niche and more well-known such as Eastman or Buzz Rickson ?

Last edited:

Micawber

No of course it’s not, Steve Silburn would never have turned out something like that. A closer look at the label will show the way it has been hand stitched into the lining. The decal is fresh and the whole thing shouts of a generic jacket that has been cheaply altered with the label and decal to deceive.

DylanDog

My thoughts exactly !

Whoever sewed the label in probably thought Sefton Clothing Co. was a an original US company and not one more recent on this side of the Atlantic.

B-Man2

Looking closely does this have hand warmer pockets? Theres a big seam next to the cargo pocket that would suggest a hand warmer pocket ….. whatever … it’s definitely not a Sefton A2

MauldinFan

Yet another maker of A2s I've never heard of before now.
I find it ironic that someone is making A2s with a company named for a play/movie character who never wore one.
William Holden - Stalag 17.png

Chandler

Yet another maker of A2s I've never heard of before now.
I find it ironic that someone is making A2s with a company named for a play/movie character who never wore one.
Oh, but he did -- go back and watch closely, there's a scene next to his bunk, as he's prepping for some trade deal, where he's wearing an A-2 -- and a real one, not the civvy-looking jacket Larry Storch's brother wears.

But I think the label name choice was less than ironic, probably intentional.

Last edited:

MauldinFan

Oh, but he did -- go back and watch closely, there's a scene next to his bunk, as he's prepping for some trade deal, where he's wearing an A-2 -- and a real one, not the civvy-looking jacket Larry Storch's brother wears.
I didn't remember that, thanks.

Grant

If you can find one, Sefton A-2's have stood the test of time and are lovely reproduction A-2's. Here's my size 42. Far superior to the old Avirex and many of the budget repros out there these days.
It really is a shame Steve stopped making them.

SEF.jpg

B-Man2

The Sefton A2’s definitely have a place in the history of repro military A2 jackets .
You can read about them here:

Chandler

Oh, but he did -- go back and watch closely, there's a scene next to his bunk...
FWIW -- it's the moonshine/bar scene. Sefton is at his bunk counting packs of cigarettes as Harry complains about being poisoned. ;)

Watching again as my workout distraction. My second favorite Christmas Movie. ;)

DylanDog

The fake Sefton A-2 has resurfaced on eBay UK.

I don’t know what price it sold for at the auction rooms but it’s currently listed with a Buy It Now of £225.