• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it wrong to wear a named jacket?

bazelot

Most of the flight jackets I wear are named and the Navy gold of wings are also on the nameplate. Is that wrong to wear such a jacket? I read on another forum that some people don't like the display of awards won by somebody else. That I completely understand but pilot wings are also a recognition of something, so my question is do you guys think it's wrong to wear a jacket with somebody else's nameplate and wings?

watchmanjimg

This has been a recurring topic of discussion on VLJ, with the following thread being the most recent one I can think of:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6107

Thus far the consensus appears to be that one should do what feels comfortable, and I agree. It would be a shame to remove original insignia unless it bothers you to wear it. I doubt anyone will think that you're falsely representing yourself by wearing a piece of military history, and if they do it's their problem.

greyhound52

Having served for 31 years in the Army I have no issue with it. In a way it honors the man who wore it. It gives one the chance to tell about the jacket and perhaps what this person did during that period of time. You would be surprised how much the younger generation lacks in the area of history of this country. I use my jackets as an educational tool. Of course my kids get bored hearing it.

Jaydee

This is an interesting subject that has been discussed before here. Some people could be offended, mostly veterans who have earned their wings, rank, and medals Etc. I would think this would be much more of an issue if the gear is current issue stuff. Most people who would be offended would also know a vintage jacket could not have been issued to most of us, because of our age. USN Pilot wings are not something to be taken lightly. It is a huge achievement. They are not easy to earn and many people wash out of Flight School before completion. Also it is a big NO NO to wear a G-1 with civillian clothes. I can understand those guys being possibly offended at seeing a non-military looking person sporting a winged G-1. I was in a USN squadron and although I was not flying at the time, I worked on the planes and always loved the flight gear! I now have my Commercial Pilot's Certificate and have patched up a CWU-45 with my old squadron's patches. When it came to the wings, I opted for my civillian wings on the badge rather than USN wings. This was done out of respect because although it would have been "correct" to have the USN wings, I did not earn them.
P10100341.jpg

P10100361.jpg

Weasel_Loader

Yep. Much discussed topic here, but always happy to put in my thoughts.

I'm not keen on wearing of any rank or ratings not earned. Just not my thing. Having said that, I do not believe it is really an issue and that anyone should have an issue with unless one was using the rank and ratings to an advantage. If wearing it to honor someone than I say go for it. ;)

Myself, I'm working on a Doolittle jacket. Using my GW Dobow 20960, I have a fantastic Wright Field patch along with name tape. It will be an exact replica of the jacket he wore on the Tokyo raid (sans rank on shoulders). Just have to wait one more season to age and break in my jacket to match the patch and name tape. Also will be adding a name tape to my ELC B-10 to honor my uncle who wore same jacket during WW2.

Good luck. :D

A

Anonymous

As an officer, what would bother me is if petty officers in service would wear officer ranks on their jackets.

watchmanjimg

That's a reasonable objection, considering that presumably these individuals would be expressly unauthorized to wear such insignia--and someone would likely enforce the violation.

Cobblers161

PLATON said:
As an officer, what would bother me is if petty officers in service would wear officer ranks on their jackets.

Typical officer class! :lol: Crikey, sounds like you actually believe Petty Officers would want a commission. If my experience serves me well (6 years in the Royal Air Force as an SAC) then it's be the Warrant officers/senior NCO's actually running the show. Not a dig btw just light hearted!

If it's historical and not current I just don't see the problem, I would never wear them myself but how can there possibly be any issues if you're wearing them on a jacket not part of current issue?

greyhound52

Cobblers you are right. I don't know of any Army NCO that would want to wear officers rank on an off duty jacket. They would feel insulted. Most of em when a lower enlisted person would say "sir" to them would state "don't call me sir I work for a living" :D Being a mustang officer (was a NCO then got my commission) I understand the mentality of it. So, don't ever think this would be an issue.