• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it lèse majesté to paint an Eastman?

vesicant

Here's the situation: I'm having artwork designed for what's essentially a commemorative jacket for the unit I was assigned to back in my Army days. (I could tell you the unit, but then I'd have to shoot myself.) I have an embroidered unit patch and service badge for the front, and artwork in process for the back that's based on something my team commissioned back in the 70s (thirty year rule, you know...). None of this is WWII related at all. Since this is a uniquely personal jacket, I'm not worried about resale value -- one of my nephews will inherit the jacket. I got leather samples from the major players, and the Eastman seal goatskin is, well, simply amazing. The alternatives are Gibson and Barnes or US Authentic. Their leather is nice, but not in the same class. (The Aero seal goat is very good, but the artist and I are concerned about the seal spray wearing off.) So, if I buy an Eastman house USAAF A-2 and have it patched and painted, will I be cast into the outer darkness?

a2jacketpatches

Nothing wrong with decorating a fine jacket to remember/display personal experiences or any other personal reason. Resale value doesn't matter? that's about the only factor to stop you I'd think. Do it, the canvas can be expensive but you have a good plan for it.

unclegrumpy

I agree as well...go for it! I think one of your biggest concerns is picking a jacket that will fit comfortably. A-2's can be snug fitting, so you might want to post your size, and get some opinions before you order one.

Good luck!

better duck

I agree with the others: if it were an original jacket you were contemplating painting, that would be different, but with any repro: go ahead, esp if resale value isn't an issue. I have several painted ELC's and love them for what they mean to me - and "apres moi le deluge" as far as monetary value is concerned.

Tim P

No problem at all with the idea. Slight problem with the jacket.
Goatskins oils make it difficult although not impossible to paint so from experience I have to recommend horse or cow hide

442RCT

So, if I buy an Eastman house USAAF A-2 and have it patched and painted, will I be cast into the outer darkness?
Speaking from the outer darkness, my opinion is decidely biased as I currently have three jackets being painted and a 4th to be delivered to a jacket artist next week. I agree with the posters insofar as getting a good quality jacket that fits you is important if this is to be your one and only personal wearing jacket. I've never seen an ELC goatskin and frankly don't see any potential issues about painting goatskin. I currently have 4 goatskin jackets with paintjobs, (all are inexpensive Cooper goat A-2s). As I previously stated, goat, steer, or horse, it doesn't really matter, when the leather is properly prepped, it'll take the paint. I can see the reasoning about not using the seal sprayed leather, the spray finish around the borders of the painted art would be messed up by the prep process.

As for the theme on your jacket, I hope you post pics of the completed jacket :D without having to kill yourself.
A client requested a jacket for a D-Day reunion his unit was having.
He said he wanted a special commemorative jacket to wear when he went to Normandy for his 50th anniversary D-Day reunion with his unit, the 505 Parachute Infantry Unit. He'd send me his source materials and we would collaborate on the design. He sent me books with drawings of paratroopers, and a postcard with the church of Ste. Mere Eglise. The church was where his unit began their campaign and the jacket has a map of the locations where the 505 PIR engaged the enemy.

I was glad that we got his special jacket finished in time for him to wear to Normandy, and I hope his buddies got a kick out of it.
DDay_01.jpg

DDay_03.jpg

Recently, as a design exercise, I photoshopped a jacket with the Playboy Bunny who visited VN. Will I ever commission a jacket to be painted...probably not. http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9325
5420319890_25269eb3c6_z.jpg