• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is eBay trying to self-destruct?

asiamiles

What kind of nonsense is this?

"We would like to tell you about a new security initiative. To help protect the Community against fraudulent access to our members’ accounts, eBay has started noting which computers members typically use to conduct their buying and selling activity.

Sometime this summer, eBay will begin checking to ensure you are logging in from the same machine you have successfully used previously, whether it is a home or business computer. If you attempt to list an item from a different computer – for example, from a PC you are borrowing in a hotel or library – eBay will ask you to confirm your identity.

The best way to confirm your identity is to choose an automated phone call – either now, or in 2 minutes -- that eBay will make to the number you have registered with us. The phone call will provide you with a PIN number to use to complete the confirmation process. This allows the system to confirm it is really you logging in to list items.

If this is not possible, we will provide alternatives such as confirming through Live Chat or receiving a call to a new number. These alternate methods will require you to provide more information (such as your secret question answer)."

There's presumably some ulterior motive behind this.

tamoko

So stupid. And how will manage eBay "dynamic IP" ? Or i need to pay eBay extras, for telethon call ?
How about right for private data, no more respected by eBay ?

asiamiles

tamoko said:
How about right for private data, no more respected by eBay ?

Yes, why on earth should eBay be even thinking of checking what computers people use to sell their wares on?

A

Anonymous

Sounds like big government. Have you also noticed a change in the order of when an auction ends, like not in order.

spitfire

I have 3 computers in my home.That means i can only use one computer to buy something from ebay,or sell an item on ebay.I guess i will have to stick to using my laptop that i have been using for the past few months.
Personally,i think it is obvious we will have to pay for the call,and ebay will no doubt get a percentage of the call charges.
Can ebay really check which computer people use? if so,and part of it relies on IP address tracking,what are they going to do if someone simply turns off their router,and unplugs the phone line for 5 seconds? The IP address is automatically changed,and it is impossible for any software to detect the old IP address. ( I use this method to beat the rapidshare 1 hour waiting time ). It does mean,that if ebay so much as mentions IP tracking,in any way shape or form,then,based on that simple disconnect and unplug method,it is flawed absolute.

asiamiles

And what is it eaxctly eBay are supposedly combating here? People hacking into other people's accounts and selling (or buying) stuff under their ID? Er, yeah right, this is a major issue on eBay for people right now...not! Something strange is going on here if you ask me.

havocpaul

My friend lives half the year here in London and the rest in Romania, he buys and sells on eBay; every time he goes from one location to the other eBay cancel his selling account and block him. Now they know when he goes abroad as he now tells them (including what computer and isp he will use) but they keep playing silly b****ers, their excuse is they are protecting him and his account. He has a real task each time to get his listing fees back too. if this is going to be the way they operate then they will alienate even more customers, the non-negative feedback rule from sellers was daft enough...boy has it become a task chasing buyers for payment suddenly.

Jason

I'm guessing they'll use some other method other than IP logging to record what PC you're on. They'll have figured that out, I'm sure.

My guess is that they'll be tracking what PC you use, and combine this with your browsing, buying & selling history to direct target advertising to you. Eg: lets say you buy lots of motorbike parts, and you sell the occasional restored bike. Won't take too much processing horsepower to deduce that you're interested in things mechanical, so whenever you log in to ebay on your PC you'll be presented with banners, popunders etc of mechanical-related adverts.

And of course ebay will make squillions out of it. Believe me, this is about one thing alone: MONEY. Profit pure and simple. A company without boarders, without real tangible presence, knows it can operate outside of local regulations and thus by extension can and does skirt some legal requirements. So it won't be government pressure for them to do 'what is right' that motivates them - even though they use the smokescreen of 'customer security' to justify their actions. Absolutely everything a big company does is about money & profit. Theres no such thing as true corporate integrity, or being a 'good corporate citizen' these days, even though many put up a facade of being so.

spitfire

I personally cannot see how they can know what computer an individual is using,especially in a persons home,and especially if he uses more than one computer.to my mind,the only way they can do that,is if they have sent and installed some form of software into that specific individual computer,that will not work on any other individual computer.
Surely,from their extremely distant side,all they can detect is what comes through the broadband/dial up,like IP address,and what browser a person is using ( perhaps a few other little things aswell ).
I cannot see ebay daring to do this,as it could infiltrate big corporate business' security,and they could be accused of industrial espionage etc.

A

Anonymous

Same security feature that every large bank with an online service uses. You don't hear too many people complaining about that.

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
My friend lives half the year here in London and the rest in Romania, he buys and sells on eBay; every time he goes from one location to the other eBay cancel his selling account and block him.

This is sort-of what I've been doing, but since changing my eBay address from once country to another I've simply left it rather than kept switching it back and forth. Why should eBay cancel your friend's account? Is their some crime in changing address?

eBay has definitely become too big for its boots. They feel like they can do anything and get away with it. Usually when a company acts this way something completely unexpected happens and their position of power suddenly is taken away from them. No one could have predicted how big eBay would become, but similarly no one can know that something is not around the corner to topple it. For many, many people eBay became anything from useful to invaluable to a life-saver, but (if we just take the reaction on here as an example, and no reason why this minority shouldn't be a fairly accurate representation of the majority) it would seem the current customer mood not a happy one, and each new idea eBay comes up with seems to only increase this ill-feeling.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
spitfire said:
I personally cannot see how they can know what computer an individual is using ....

Tracking cookies ...

Check your account preferences on registration sites. Some sites, such as eBay, require registration and the use of cookies. On eBay, for example, if you do not opt-out of advertising tracking, information about your eBay activities can be used by other sites and advertisers outside of eBay. EBay discloses this in its privacy policy. However, using your account preferences, you can opt-out of this kind of tracking. In this case, you are not downloading an opt-out cookie, you are setting a preference on a site where you have registration information

World Privacy Forum.

John Lever

Has anyone been invited to apply the new Paypal credit card yet ? Looks like world domination is on their agenda.

havocpaul

Ebay's reason about cancelling my friend's selling account when he lists in Romania is that they consider him to be a UK-based 'customer' and that allegedly Romania is on a list of higher-risk locations for fraud etc (despite them being in the EU!). What he now does is contact them when leaving the UK and confirming his arrival at his Romanian isp address and that he will be selling as usual, so far this time it has been o.k. They've never had a problem when he paid his fees from Romania though!