• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRVIN

Grant

Here's a couple photos of another Irvin I just picked up. This one has really nice dark ginger color shearling and the hardware is all brass including the DOT zips. It's about a size 42/44. No need for Peacards at the moment as the skins are in very good condition. Need another Irvin like I need a hole in the head but couldn't pass this one up. Can't wait for winter!

irvin-2.jpg

irvinbuckle.jpg

irvinzip.jpg

Grant

Hey Andrew,
Yeah, who'd thought an Irvin would turn up in the middle of the US.!

TankBuster

Grant, Super nice Irvin. Looks to be in great shape.

John, I have a original Irvin myself. I think there are surely more of us out there! ;)

handworn

I love Irvins, but don't you have to live like in New Hampshire or Montana to wear them, even in the winter? I keep hearing B-3s are too warm in most of the U.S., most of the time, and Irvins look pretty similar warmthwise. I'm sure they'd be too warm for my Philadelphia.

Grant said:
Here's a couple photos of another Irvin I just picked up. This one has really nice dark ginger color shearling and the hardware is all brass including the DOT zips. It's about a size 42/44. No need for Peacards at the moment as the skins are in very good condition. Need another Irvin like I need a hole in the head but couldn't pass this one up. Can't wait for winter!

irvin-2.jpg

irvinbuckle.jpg

irvinzip.jpg

Grant

I live in NYC and find an Irvin comes in handy quite a bit in winter. Since owning a car isn't an option I walk or ride a bike a lot so am outside quite a bit.

Roughwear

Great find Grant. Please could you post some more detailed pics to help identify the maker. Pics of the collar rings, hanging chain and under-arm gusset rings would be helpful. Does the jacket have brass single trunnion DOT sleeve zips or are they the cast DOT variety?

Grant

Hey Andrew, Left that Irvin with my sister back in the midwest as I don't have room for any more Irvins in NYC. Next time I'm back I'll make sure and take more pics. The zips are all brass DOT's and it has the black elastic collar strap in tact if that helps.

MikeyB-17

That's a beauty Grant-I remember you had another nearly mint Irvin back along-in the old 'grey wall' days :D -still got that one?

Grant

Hey Mikey, Yeah, still have that one as well. I need to go to Irvins anonymous - this is a real disease.

Roughwear

The second one is not just unusual because of the name on the back but because it has a four piece front and a 6 panel back. You see very few transitional Irvins around. I would date it to 1943 just before the 6 panel back and front Irvins were produced in large numbers.

Grant

Thanks for the info. Hume's the only multi panel Irvin I own - all the others are single panels.
Hume flew with the RCAF - other than that no other info.

Andrew

"Hume" is a great jacket. I suspect that the only painted Irvins that exist belonged to Canadians. Wasn't permitted in the RAAF and I presume the RAF.

This is one I have with lovely air gunners brevet and RCAF painted on it.

DSC_0037.jpg