• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin size 6

Andrew

I'm not sure what you mean Rich, it's the only patent no. i've ever come across. Where's yours from, as it's the Brit Patent number for making Sodium Nitrite!

rich

You're right Andrew, I was trying to date the patent on the jacket and 407311 was the first patent issued in 1934 - I had no idea what that number related to until now!

I don't recall seeing this much info on an Irvin label before and thought it should be feasible to learn it's place and date of manufacture from this - it seems to be a mid-war jacket and I was surprised that they would still place this amount info on the label. Maybe Andrew S. will take a punt............?

Roughwear

The jacket is just a normal 1941 Irvin by Irvin Air Chute. It is their patent number and is found on many of their labels from the early 1930s. It is on the spec label of my 1933 IAC Irvin.

rich

The label off my 6 - looks positively bereft in comparison ..............

size6.jpg

Roughwear

Here's the early label from my 1933 Irvin. There is no contract number, just the patent, with the 1932 date. The patent was applied for on 2nd Nov 1932 and finally approved on 22 March 1934.

009-8.jpg

rich

Roughwear said:
The jacket is just a normal 1941 Irvin by Irvin Air Chute. It is their patent number and is found on many of their labels from the early 1930s. It is on the spec label of my 1933 IAC Irvin.

Andrew, as it's Irvin's patent, it would seem that other manufacturers (Wareings, Links etc.) must have been allowed to copy it?
I know there's no easy answer, but were IAC the sole suppliers to the RAF before the outbreak of war? Is it known when other
manufacturers began their production?

Roughwear

rich said:
Roughwear said:

Andrew, as it's Irvin's patent, it would seem that other manufacturers (Wareings, Links etc.) must have been allowed to copy it?
I know there's no easy answer, but were IAC the sole suppliers to the RAF before the outbreak of war? Is it known when other
manufacturers began their production?

I can't recall seeing the Patent on spec labels from other makers. The first Wareings contract was issued in 1935, with Links getting their's in 1940. DGL began producing Irvins in 1940.