• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin Odors

fleet16b

Hi Everyone

My early war Irvin has a fairly strong odor.
It is hard to describe but is a combination old leather / mould /musty smell.
It was stored in a basement for many years and this is most likely why the odors.

What can I do to eliminate the smell ?
I have tried Lysol Disinfectant, laying it the yard in direct sunlight etc but it seems to help only a little bit.
Anyone have this issue and or solutions to eliminate this problem ?

Thanks

ghq1

May sound odd but I have used pure cedar oil

You can buy ounce bottles on Ebay and then cut them with isopropyl alcohol (as a carrier)

Lightly mist the garment . . .then store in a cardboard box or plastic bag for a day or so . .

I have used this method on waxed cotton jackets and leather . .and it leaves behind a nice cedar smell. The cedar will dissipate over time (a few weeks usually)

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Cam,

A cheap trick for getting rid of musty smells / odors in basements is to place a few saucers of vinegar around the area. Usually works overnight.

Just turn the jacket inside out - lay it flat and place a couple of them around it.

Let us know if it works.

Bill French

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Yes, the vinegar is a good idea, and if you Search there are several earlier threads with suggestions.

Here's my standard post ...

Try airing it outside, but out of the sun, this should do it, but otherwise .....

Place it in a plastic bag, sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda, and seal it in for a few days.

And/or spray with an animal odour eliminator from a pet shop.

This combination has worked well for me, others on the forum like to toss the jacket into the clothes drier with coffee grounds. The debate about whether to use them first continues .....

fleet16b

bfrench said:
Hi, Cam,

A cheap trick for getting rid of musty smells / odors in basements is to place a few saucers of vinegar around the area. Usually works overnight.

Just turn the jacket inside out - lay it flat and place a couple of them around it.

Let us know if it works.

Bill French

Bill
Decided to try a variation of your method.
Put two large mixing bowls of vinegar in the pantry. Hung the Irvin suspended above the pans and closed the door.
My theory is that the whole closet will become filled with vinegar fumes thus fumigating the jacket. I 'll let everyone know what happens. If nothing , I'll try the suggestion deeb7 made.

Thanks for the home remedies

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
fleet16b said:
Put two large mixing bowls of vinegar in the pantry. Hung the Irvin suspended above the pans and closed the door.

.... all the hardware will turn black.

fleet16b

deeb7 said:
fleet16b said:

.... all the hardware will turn black.

Checked on the jacket this a.m. after leaving over night.
Not much change .... still has the odor and harware is fine .
I have left it to sit all day in hopes that it will improve by tonight.
We'll see

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
fleet16b said:
We'll see

Most of the remedies take some time, and the improvement is gradual. For a quick fix, probably the pet odour spray, or Febreze.

fleet16b

deeb7 said:
fleet16b said:
We'll see

Most of the remedies take some time, and the improvement is gradual. For a quick fix, probably the pet odour spray, or Febreze.

Deeb7

Checked the jacket when I got home and I will say it seems to have helped a little but still smells a bit. I am going to leave it one more fay and se hat happens

Last night while shopping with my wife, I noticed that Febreze actually makes a pet odor spray. So, if the vinegar doesn't work
I try your suggestion

iI just wonder if the vinegar will delete the smell permanent or not.??????

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
fleet16b said:
I just wonder if the vinegar will delete the smell permanent or not.??????

I think so ... once you get it sorted, and it gets worn out in the fresh air from time to time, and it lives in a dry room.

Yeah, it will be fine.

fleet16b

Well after a week in the closet with the bowls of vinegar, the odor is much weaker but still there.
So.... next step is to try Deeb7 suggestion and use Febreze pet spray and alot of airing in the backyard

Andrew

Just go straight to several treatments of febreeze. I've used it on several A-2's and Irvins and it has significantly reduced the pong, however i can't stand the smell of Febreeze now!

fleet16b

Andrew said:
Just go straight to several treatments of febreeze. I've used it on several A-2's and Irvins and it has significantly reduced the pong, however i can't stand the smell of Febreeze now!

:lol: LOL.... My wife is rolling her eyes :roll: already as she also hates the smell of the stuff
So just to stir the pot a bit :twisted: , I've asked her to pick some Pet Febreze for me while she is out ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
fleet16b said:
I've asked her to pick some Pet Febreze for me while she is out ;)

There are other brands, I bought one called Odorex from the pet store. Its cost was more than double that of the supermarket products .... but it smells better, and it works.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
alfanator said:
OK to shoot fabreeze straight onto the leather or lining only? What about rubbing alcohol?

Fabreze is fine on the leather, you could give it a quick wipe in case it spots. I don't know about the rubbing alcohol, it won't deodorise, and it may damage the leather finish.