• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin Jacket Zipper Question

Jennison

Hi: I’ve got a 1987 Avirex Irvin (“Irvin”) jacket and I’d like to make the zippers just a bit more period correct (without going down a rabbit hole). The zips on the jacket appear to be high quality, heavy duty, US made Scovill ones, but the pullers are those wire things. I’m hoping I can just replace the pullers on the sliders (not the sliders themselves) with Lightning repros, or an equivalent. Is it possible to have these sliders be opened up to install new pullers?

As an aside, I’m also planning on installing a new buckle and an elastic collar strap, maybe putting “parachute-rigger added” outside pockets to hide the awful installed ones, but I’m not going to venture further. There are too many things wrong with this jacket…

Thanks! Jennison

Attachments

• IMG_5295.jpeg
    IMG_5295.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5296.jpeg
    IMG_5296.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5297.jpeg
    IMG_5297.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5298.jpeg
    IMG_5298.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 129

Jennison

Indeed it does and I even cut out the floppy inside pocket parts years ago. As I mentioned above, I'd like to have outside pockets sewn over the fantasy ones, like an early AAF airman who ended up with an Irvin. This jacket was a gift that I've owned and worn for years. Aside from those pockets, I realized how many details were off once I joined this forum. I'll fix the little things that I can, but I wouldn't buy another Irvin for myself.

Jennison

Yeah, you're right. Throwing good money after bad for a Frankenjacket wasn't my intention, but reality often doesn't care about my intentions.

Thanks for the advice, both of you.