• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin in the USAAF

bombs away

Hi Gents,

Just have a look at this picture of a USAAF officer wearing a nice Irvin.
This jacket seems really comfortable !
Of course, the A-2 would be great in my collection too :D

And look at all those F-1 heated suits, I'm looking for such blue bunny suits for a long time now ( if someone has one taking the dust... ;) ), I'd just like to pick up just one without being seen.

2795002179_e2ae401008_b.jpg

Tim

Roughwear

The electrically wired Irvin appears brand new. It dates from around 1943-4. I wonder whether he was issued it or got it through a swop? It is the position he is standing in, but the sleeves seem a little short.

Lignemaginot

Roughwear said:
The electrically wired Irvin appears brand new. It dates from around 1943-4. I wonder whether he was issued it or got it through a swop? It is the position he is standing in, but the sleeves seem a little short.

The writing at the bottom of the photo helps with the dating (at least of the photo, if not the jacket) - Dec 17 '43.

Roughwear

Lignemaginot said:
Roughwear said:

The writing at the bottom of the photo helps with the dating (at least of the photo, if not the jacket) - Dec 17 '43.

Thanks for the info about the date, which I missed! It would appear to be 1943 issue, which is spot on for the construction of the jacket.

Tim P

My blue bunny is a 46. It did not come cheap and I am getting ready to renovate it from borderline relic condition.

Swing

When I saw this thread title I was prepared for "Where Irvins used by the USAAF?", and was ready to respond that "Yes, they were, and I've seen them used more by the 381st BG than any other unit". Of course, the photo you posted was from the 381st. :) Thanks for sharing!

~Swing

C.J.

I would think some of the pilots from the early 4thFG would have had Irvins, as well. That's what they would have been issued when flying with the Eagle Squadrons before being transfered back to the 8th AF, right?

Roughwear

C.J. said:
I would think some of the pilots from the early 4thFG would have had Irvins, as well. That's what they would have been issued when flying with the Eagle Squadrons before being transfered back to the 8th AF, right?

This is true, but this one is electrically wired and they were issued to bomber crew, where they could be plugged into the bomber's electrics.

Tim P

I think all RAF aircraft adn USAAF B-17's worked off a 24 volt supply. the simple expedient of switching connectors would render any piece of equipment interchangeable.

bombs away

As to answer to Swing who said that most of the Irvin he knows in the USAAF were from the 381st BG, here are other pics form the 381st BG :

2808158069_129ee39e7f_o.jpg

2809008932_cfc5180178_o.jpg

2808157787_8e4616a717_o.jpg

2809008734_97887569c6_o.jpg

Tim