• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin B. Foster with a split back panels?

B-Man2

I have an Irvin B. Foster G-1 circa 1962 that I recently put up on Ebay that has split back panels with a seam up the middle of the back. The jacket was made that way and has not been repaired. In fact it's in very nice condition. Does anyone have any information about this particular design? I've never seen a split back G-1 so I'm wondering if this was a normal production run or something unusual.

I've listed the link below for photo purposes

Thanks for any information available.
B-Man2

Tkecks

I've seen split-back G1's... but they don't usually have military labels. Does yours have a USN stamp on the wind flap?

It might be early Avirex G1s that had split backs (certainly A2s do)... or it might be some 1970's civilian manufacturer like Schott etc. I've definitely seen them on ebay, and they're common enough that you can probably find one or two if you look at every currently listed G1.

Uh.. but it looks like your label has been sewn into the lining, so it may not be original. What's the history of the jacket?

MikeyB-17

I used to have one of these. I asked about it and eventually found out it was a PX jacket-made on the same production line as the Navy issue jackets but intended for sale in the PX, hence no USN on the windflap and the double back panel. Otherwise pretty much identical.